Steinert High School
|Steinert High School
Hamilton High School East
Do not go where the path may lead; Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
|2900 Klockner Road
Hamilton, NJ 08690
|School district||Hamilton Township School District|
|Vice Principals||Angela Belmont
|Faculty||92.1 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,532 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.63:1|
|Athletics||baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, track and field, tennis, wrestling,|
|Athletics conference||Colonial Valley Conference|
|Feeder schools||Reynolds Middle School|
|Director of Athletics||John Costantino|
|Website||School web pages|
Steinert High School (also called Hamilton High School East) is a four-year comprehensive public high school, one of three secondary high schools that are part of the Hamilton Township School District, located in Hamilton Township in Mercer County, New Jersey, United States. The other high schools in the district are Nottingham High School (Hamilton High School North) and Hamilton High School (Hamilton High School West). The school mascot is the Spartan.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,532 students and 92.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 16.63:1. There were 79 students (5.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 28 (1.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 204th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 189th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 199th in 2008 out of 316 schools. Schooldigger.com ranked the school as 176th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 21 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Steinert offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses in AP United States History, AP European History, AP Computer Science, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP English Literature and Composition, AP United States Government, AP Statistics, and AP Calculus.
The Steinert High School Spartans compete in the Colonial Valley Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. The school is classified as Central Jersey, Group IV. The school maintains sports rivalries with fellow Hamilton schools: the Hamilton West Hornets and the Nottingham Northstars
The 1992 baseball team defeated Hoboken High School, 5-4, to win the NJSIAA Group III State Championship. The squad finished with a 31-1 record, the most wins ever recorded in a season by a Mercer County baseball school. The team was inducted into the Steinert Athletic Hall of Fame in 2008.
The girls' softball team won the 2004 NJSIAA Group IV State Championship.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Principal - Frank Ingargiola
- Vice Principal - Angela Belmont
- Vice Principal - Joanne May
- Vice Principal - Duane Robinson
- Samuel Alito (born 1950), Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Bill Baroni (born 1971), Deputy Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey who previously represented the 14th Legislative District in the New Jersey Senate.
- Wayne DeAngelo (born 1965), represents the 14th Legislative District in the New Jersey General Assembly since 2008.
- Dan Donigan (born 1966), retired United States soccer forward, former head coach of Saint Louis University Men's Soccer team and current head coach of Rutgers University Mens Soccer team. In 1999, he was named by The Star-Ledger as one of the top ten New Jersey high school soccer players of the 1980s.
- Dave Gallagher (born 1960), former MLB outfielder.
- Eddie Gaven (born 1986), midfielder for the Columbus Crew.
- Dahntay Jones (born 1980), G/F for the NBA's Atlanta Hawks.
- Chris Pittaro (born 1961), former MLB second baseman and current Oakland Athletics National Field Coordinator.
- Bobby Smith (born 1951), North American Soccer League All Star defender and National Soccer Hall of Fame inductee who won three league championships, one in Philadelphia and two with the New York Cosmos.
- Duane Robinson (born 1968), was the first overall pick of the Illinois Thunder in the 1990 National Professional Soccer League Draft.
- Data for Hamilton East Steinert, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 24, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 1, 2011.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 9, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 2011-2012 Public Schools Group Classification for ShopRite Cup–Tennis–Soccer–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 9, 2012.
- 1992 Baseball, Steinert Athletic Hall of Fame, accessed December 16, 2010.
- 2004 Softball - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, accessed April 25, 2007.
- 2007 Field Hockey - Central, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 12, 2007.
- 2007 Girls Soccer - Central, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- Ziegler, Robert. "Jaguars denied in final: Jackson had season to be plenty proud of", Asbury Park Press, November 9, 2007. Accessed November 15, 2007. "On Thursday, they had a chance to capture the program's first sectional title, but were denied by Victoria Leigh's goal in the 66th minute, which gave Steinert a 1-0 victory at home in the NJSIAA Central Jersey Group IV final."
- Administration, Steinert High School. Accessed June 3, 2011.
- Samuel A. Alito, Jr. biography, FindLaw. Accessed February 22, 2011.
- Duffy, Erin. "Victor pays visit to Steinert", The Times (Trenton), November 10, 2009. Accessed February 22, 2011. "Accompanied by his running mate, Lt. Gov.-elect Kim Guadagno, Christie spoke before students and a number of local politicians, including Steinert graduates state Sen. Bill Baroni, R-Hamilton, and Assemblyman Wayne DeAngelo, D-Hamilton."
- Assemblyman Wayne P. DeAngelo, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 9, 2008.
- Jandoli, Ron. "The Century's Best -- Boys Soccer: Top 10 Players of each decade", The Star-Ledger, November 7, 1999, backed up by the Internet Archive as of January 10, 2003. Accessed September 11, 2008.
- Maloney, Kevin. "Another Generation of Gallaghers", The Times (Trenton), June 25, 2007. Accessed July 8, 2007. "The dining room table is where Logan's dad, Dave, who had a nine-year big-league baseball career after starring at Steinert High, puts something that he calls the 'Hitter's Journal' after every game he attends."
- Haley, Craig. "Gaven working to regain magic", The Times (Trenton), June 19, 2007. "Gaven's slump was unexpected considering his vast success. In 2001, after his freshman year at Steinert High, he was invited into the U.S. residency program at the IMG Soccer Academy in Bradenton, Fla."
- Prospect Profile: Dahntay Jones, NBA.com. Accessed February 22, 2011.
- Anthes, Rob. "All in the family: chatting with former Steinert baseball star and major leaguer Chris Pittaro", Hamilton Post, January 2, 2008. Accessed August 24, 2008. "The Post's Rob Anthes caught up with Chris Pittaro, Steinert graduate, former major league baseball player and scout for the Oakland Athletics professional baseball team since 1991."
- Fisher, Rich. "Indoor soccer coming soon to new Robbinsville facility", The Trentonian, November 29, 2006, accessed April 17, 2007. "Bobby Smith, the former Steinert High and Rider University standout who went on to star for the U.S. National Team and in the North American Soccer League, is now forming indoor leagues at the new, state-of-the-art Robbinsville Fieldhouse."
- Sciarrotta, S. "Steinert High vice principal loved soccer at first kick", MercerSpace.com, February 4, 2013. Accessed May 22, 2013. "The first time Duane Robinson was exposed to soccer, he wasn’t quite sure what he was looking at.... Robinson, now a vice principal at Steinert High School, went on to have a decade-long professional soccer career."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steinert High School.|
- Steinert High School official website
- Steinert High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Hamilton Township Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics