Skarsgård in Kalmar, July 2009
13 June 1951 |
|Children||8, including Alexander, Gustaf, Bill and Valter|
John Stellan Skarsgård (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈstɛlː.ˈan ˈskɑːrsɡoːrd] ( ); born 13 June 1951) is a Swedish actor. He is known for his roles as Jan Nyman in Breaking the Waves (1996), Prof. Gerald Lambeau in Good Will Hunting (1997), Bootstrap Bill in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007), Bill Anderson in Mamma Mia! (2008), Martin Vanger in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011), and Dr. Erik Selvig in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), and Thor: The Dark World (2013).
Skarsgård was born in Gothenburg, Sweden; the son of Gudrun (née Larsson) and Jan Skarsgård. He moved often in his childhood and lived, amongst other places, in Helsingborg, Totebo, Kalmar, Marielund and Uppsala.
Skarsgård started his acting career early and by the age of 21 his experience in film, TV and stage was considerable. Most of his early roles were in Swedish television (such as Bombi Bitt) and films. Of Skarsgård’s Swedish film work, he is perhaps best known for his portrayal of Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, who worked to save Holocaust victims.
Skarsgård is particularly associated with director Lars von Trier and has appeared in six of the Danish auteur's features: The Kingdom, Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, Melancholia and Nymph()maniac. His most personal working relationship, however, is with Norwegian director Hans Petter Moland, who has directed the actor in Kjærlighetens kjøtere, Aberdeen and A Somewhat Gentle Man. Skarsgård considers Moland a close friend and, in 2009, he said of their relationship: "We're like an old married couple and I get separation anxiety." Another Scandinavian work that he is known for is the 1997 Norwegian film Insomnia, in which he plays the guilt-ridden policeman Jonas Engström.
Skarsgård’s first American film was the 1985 film Noon Wine, directed by Michael Fields, in which Skarsgård played a mentally-disturbed immigrant farmhand being chased by a bounty hunter. He acted opposite Fred Ward, who portrayed the farmer. In 1990 he starred in another American film, The Hunt for Red October, playing the character of Captain Tupolev, a Soviet submarine commander.
He was considered for the role of Oskar Schindler in Schindler's List. Skarsgård reported that people often mistook him for Liam Neeson who portrayed Schindler in the film. Skarsgård would, in fact, replace Neeson in the 2004 film Exorcist: The Beginning. He appeared as a guest star on the HBO TV Series Entourage, as Verner Vollstedt, the German director of the fictional film Smokejumpers, who has a bias against the main character Vincent Chase, one of the stars of the film.
Skarsgård played Dr. Erik Selvig in Marvel's 2011 film Thor, and then reprised the role in the 2013 sequel Thor: The Dark World, as well as 2012's The Avengers. Skarsgård will re-team with Thor director Kenneth Branagh in the 2015 film Cinderella, in which he will play The Grand Duke.
He married My, a physician, in April 1975 and together they had six children: Alexander (b. 1976), Gustaf (b. 1980), Sam (b. 1982), Bill (b. 1990), Eija (b. 1992) and Valter Skarsgård (b. 1995). Alexander, Gustaf, Bill and Valter are also actors, while Eija is a former model. Skarsgård and My divorced in May 2007 and he married Megan Everett in January 2009. The couple have two sons together, Ossian (b. 2009) and Kolbjörn (b. 2012).
Views on religion
Skarsgård was brought up by humanist parents and had an atheist grandfather and a deeply religious grandmother. According to Skarsgård, this never led to any problems because of the family's mutual respect for each other's opinions. After the September 11 attacks, Skarsgård set out to read the Bible and the Quran, both of which he condemns as violent. Skarsgård is also a critic of religious independent schools in the Swedish educational system. Skarsgård has said he considers the notion of God absurd and that if a real God were actually so vain as to constantly demand worship, then he would not be worthy of it.
In 2009, Skarsgård, along with other non-religious artists, authors and entrepreneurs including Christer Sturmark, Björn Ulvaeus and Christer Fuglesang, wrote an article in Dagens Nyheter stressing the importance of secularity. The group also criticised the UN for its stance on blasphemy laws.
|1972||Strandhugg i somras||Erik|
|1973||Fem døgn i August||Christer|
|1974||Anita: Swedish Nymphet||Erik|
|1975||Swedish Sex Games||Peter Delaney, their son|
|1977||Hemåt i natten||Kurt Sjöberg|
|1982||The Simple-Minded Murderer||Sven|
|1983||P & B||Karl-Johan 'Charlie' Pettersson|
|1984||Åke och hans värld||Ebenholtz|
|1985||Falsk som vatten||Stig|
|1985||Noon Wine||Olaf Helton|
|1985||Peter-No-Tail in Americat||Pelle Swanson (voice)|
|1986||Ormens väg på hälleberget||Karl Orsa Markström|
|1987||Jim & piraterna Blom||Gustav, Jim's Father||Also writer|
|1987||Hip hip hurra!||Sören Kröyer|
|1988||The Unbearable Lightness of Being||The Engineer|
|1988||Vargens tid||Peder Ulfstand|
|1988||The Perfect Murder||Axel Svensson|
|1989||S/Y Joy||Klas Larsson|
|1989||Täcknamn Coq Rouge||Carl Hamilton|
|1989||Kvinnorna på taket||Willy|
|1990||The Hunt for Red October||Captain Viktor Tupolev|
|1990||Good Evening, Mr. Wallenberg||Raoul Wallenberg|
|1991||The Ox||Helge Roos|
|1992||Den Demokratiske Terroristen||Carl Hamilton|
|1993||The Slingshot||Fritiof Schütt|
|1993||Sista dansen||Host in Norrköping|
|1995||Jönssonligans största kupp||Herman Melvin|
|1995||The Dogs of Riga||Magnus Björk|
|1996||Harry och Sonja||Harry Olsson|
|1996||Breaking the Waves||Jan Nyman|
|1997||My Son the Fanatic||Schitz|
|1997||Good Will Hunting||Prof. Gerald Lambeau|
|1999||Deep Blue Sea||Jim Whitlock|
|2000||Harlan County War||Warren Jakopovich|
|2000||Passion of Mind||William Granther|
|2000||Signs & Wonders||Alec|
|2000||Dancer in the Dark||Doctor|
|2000||Aberdeen||Tomas||Also associate producer|
|2000||Powder Keg||Harvey Jacobs||Short|
|2000||Kiss Kiss (Bang Bang)||Felix|
|2001||Taking Sides||Dr. Wilhelm Furtwängler|
|2001||The Glass House||Terrence 'Terry' Glass|
|2002||No Good Deed||Tyrone|
|2002||City of Ghosts||Joseph Kaspar|
|2003||To Kill a Child||Narrator|
|2004||Exorcist: The Beginning||Father Merrin|
|2005||Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist||Father Lankester Merrin|
|2005||Beowulf & Grendel||Hrothgar|
|2006||Kill Your Darlings||Erik's Father|
|2006||Goya's Ghosts||Francisco Goya|
|2006||Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest||Bootstrap Bill Turner|
|2007||Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End||Bootstrap Bill Turner|
|2007||The Killing Gene||Eddie Argo|
|2007||Arn – The Knight Templar||Birger Brosa|
|2008||Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End||Birger Brosa|
|2009||Angels & Demons||Commander Maximilian Richter|
|2009||Boogie Woogie||Bob Maccelstone|
|2009||Metropia||Ralph Parker (voice)|
|2010||A Somewhat Gentle Man||Ulrik|
|2010||Frankie and Alice||Dr. Oz|
|2010||Moomins and the Comet Chase||Moominpapa / Hemulens (voice)|
|2010||Submission||Narrator (English version)|
|2010||As If I Am Not There||Doctor|
|2010||King of Devil's Island||Bestyreren||Also executive producer|
|2011||Thor||Dr. Erik Selvig|
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Martin Vanger|
|2012||The Avengers||Dr. Erik Selvig|
|2013||Romeo and Juliet||Prince of Verona|
|2013||The Railway Man||Finlay|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Dr. Erik Selvig|
|2014||In Order of Disappearance||Nils||Executive producer, stunt driver|
|2014||Hector and the Search for Happiness||Edward|
|2015||Cinderella||The Grand Duke||Post-production|
|2015||Avengers: Age of Ultron||Dr. Erik Selvig||Post-production|
|1968||Bombi Bitt och jag||Bombi Bitt||TV series (5 episodes)|
|1981||Skärp dig, älskling||Georg||TV mini-series|
|1981||Babels hus||Dr. Mattsson||TV mini-series|
|1981||Olsson per sekund eller Det finns ingen anledning till oro||The tardy one||TV film|
|1983||Farmor och vår herre||Nathan||TV mini-series|
|1985||Den tragiska historien om Hamlet - Prins av Danmark||Hamlet||TV film|
|1985||August Strindberg: Ett liv||Verner von Heidenstam||TV mini-series|
|1989||The Wild Duck||Gregers Werle||TV film|
|1989||Förhöret||Carl Hamilton||TV film|
|1990||S*M*A*S*H||Statssekreteraren||TV mini-series (1 episode: "Wow, håll käften!")|
|1990||Parker Kane||Nathan Van Adams||TV film|
|1994||Rapport till himlen||Gary||TV mini-series|
|1997||The Kingdom II||Stig Helmers advokat||TV mini-series (1 episode: "Gargantua")|
|2000||Harlan County War||Warren Jakopovich||TV film|
|2001||D-dag - Den færdige film||Lise's Mand||TV film|
|2003||Helen of Troy||Theseus||TV film|
|2008||Masterpiece Contemporary||Baumgarten||TV series (1 episode: "God on Trial")|
|2008||Entourage||Verner Vollstedt||TV series (3 episodes)|
|2010||Arn||Birger Brosa||TV mini-series|
|2012||Rouge Brésil||Villegagnon||TV series|
|2012||Playhouse Presents||The Man||TV series (1 episode "The Man")|
|2015||RIVER||John River||TV series|
Awards and nominations
- "Stellan Skarsgaard Biography". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Thyselius, Erik; Lindblad, Göran (1999). Vem är det?: Svensk biografisk handbok: Volume 44. Norstedt. p. 1004.
- "Hollywood’s Lonely Hero". Stellanonline.com. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "Stellan Skarsgard (Bootstrap Bill) Biography". Starsontop.com. 2007-01-13. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Gross, Larry. "Stellan Skarsgård". BOMB Magazine. Summer 1998. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- Stiller opp for Moland www.dagsavisen.no
- Brad Brevet (10 December 2012). "RopeofSilicon Movie Club: 'Insomnia' (1997)". Rope of Silicon. RopeofSilicon.com LLC. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Mike Ryan (21 December 2011). "Stellan Skarsgard on 'Dragon Tattoo', Not Being Satisfied with 'The Avengers' and His 'Good Will Hunting' Scarf". Moviefone. Aol Inc. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Rappe, Elisabeth (2009-10-05). "Stellan Skarsgard Joins 'Thor'". Cinematical. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- Stellan Skarsgard in Talks to Join 'Cinderella' (Exclusive) Hollywood Reporter, Retrieved July 12, 2013
- Lykke Li (26 April 2011). "Lykke Li - 'Sadness Is a Blessing' (Director Tarik Saleh)" (Video upload). YouTube. Google Inc. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Gilbey, Ryan (5 April 2012). "Stellan Skarsgård: 'I'm a castrated bull'". TheGuardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
- Abramovitch, Seth (24 August 2012). "Stellan Skarsgard, 61, Welcomes Baby Number 8". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Stellan Skarsgård: Bibeln och Koranen får inte styra skolan expressen.se Retrieved:2010-02-26
- ”Därför är det viktigt med ett sekulärt samhälle” dn.se Retrieved:2010-02-26
- "Berlinale: 1982 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "The Swedish Film Database". sfi.se. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "4th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards". sagawards.org. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "1998 European Film Awards". europeanfilmacademy.org. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2000 European Film Awards". europeanfilmacademy.org. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2001 European Film Awards". europeanfilmacademy.org. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2002 Mar del Plata Film Festival". imdb.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2004 Bodil Awards". imdb.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2004 Robert Awards". imdb.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2006 Fangoria Chainsaw Awards". imdb.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2008 Satellite Awards". pressacademy.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2009 People's Choice Awards". peopleschoice.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2010 Amanda Awards". filmweb.no/filmfestivalen/. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Jameson Dublin International Film Festival: Audience Awards". jdiff.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stellan Skarsgård.|