Stephanie Zacharek is an American film critic born circa 1963.
|Occupation||chief film critic, journalist, author|
|Years active||1986 -|
|Spouse(s)||Charles Taylor (film critic)|
She began her career as a senior editor at Crosby Vandenburgh Group (1986-1988). In the nighties, she worked for Boston Phoenix and Inc. Magazine. Between 1999 and 2010, she was a film critic and a senior writer at Salon.com. She moved to work as chief film critic of Movieline in 2010. However, Movieline laid her off in April 2012 and at the same time eliminated the position of chief critic.
In April 2013, the Voice Media Group hired her as chief film critic of The Village Voice. Along her various full-time jobs, Zacharek has also been a freelance journalist since 1988 writing for media like CNN.com, Los Angeles Times, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, and the NPR.
Zacharek lives in New York and is married to Charles Taylor, a fellow film critic.
Opinion about film criticism
In 2010, on the occasion of the Berlinale Talent Campus, Zacharek participated to a panel called "Fear Eats the Soul: The State of Film Criticism". During the panel discussion, Zacharek expressed that she was "worried about film criticism", stood up for honesty, integrity, and discipline - and at the same time, she criticized fellow writers who "don't put enough thought into their negativity".
In another 2010 address, Zacharek stated that she was "part of a rare and endangered species, a working film critic. Film criticism is thriving and dying at the same time”. She also noted that the Internet has changed the way print publications look at their writers and at content. When discussing pay, Zacharek stated that film criticism was a writing job, and writing takes time.
Notes and references
- "Welcome Stephanie Zacharek, Moveline's New Chief Film Critic!?". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Stephanie Zacharek Laid Off By Movieline; Film Critic Position "Eliminated"". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Why Was Zacharek Whacked?". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Village Gets a New Voice". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Who We Are". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Did Former 'Salon' Critic Charles Taylor Pull A Lee Siegel?". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Fear Eats the Soul: The State of Film Criticism". Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Dying Race of Film Critics". Retrieved 2013-08-25.