Stephen James Bennett
Stephen (James) Bennett is an English musician, writer and film maker born in Skelmersdale, Lancashire. He plays various keyboards, drums and the guitar. He first came to public attention in the band LaHost in the 1980s as part of the New wave of progressive rock who had headlined at the Marquee Club in London.
Since the Lahost split, Bennett has pursued music careers with his own band The Fire Thieves, and worked with Tim Bowness and the band Henry Fool. He also sang and played keyboards on the two of The Opium Cartel albums.
His 2014 collaboration with Tim Bowness, Abandoned Dancehall Dreams reached number 18 in the UK Rock Chart. A co-composed track from the album, "Smiler at 50", was nominated for a Prog magazine award in 2014.
Bennett also collaborated with Lady Sara Rönneke, David Torn, Hugh Hopper and David Picking. He has made music videos for Tim Bowness and Peter Chilvers and No-Man and has completed one narrative short film, The Perfect Number.
He has written about Apple's Logic Pro Digital Audio Workstation software for Sound on Sound, amongst others, as well as several books on music technology for PC-Publishing.
- LaHost 'Erotic Antiques' (UGUM MSI 1992)
- The Fire Thieves 'Slow dancing in the big city' (Chaos 1991)
- The Fire Thieves 'Sweet' (Chaos 1993)
- The Fire Thieves 'Clarity' (Chaos 1997)
- SplatterCell 'Remiksis Ah' (CellDivide 200)
- henry fool 'henry fool' (Cyclops 2001)
- henry fool 'Pills in the Afternoon' (Piotr Kosinski compilation 2002)
- No-Man Together We're Stranger (Snapper 2003) - Video of 'Things I want to tell you' included on the 5:1 re-release, 2007
- Rhinoceros 'Tiny Ghosts' (Burning Shed 2003)
- Tim Bowness 'My Hotel Year' (One Little Indian 2004)
- No-Man Schoolyard Ghosts (K-Scope 2008)
- The Fire Thieves 'Back to Stereo' (Chaos 2009)
- No-Man Love and Endings (K-Scope)
- Henry Fool Men Singing (K-Scope 2014)
- The Opium Cartel Night Blooms (Termo Records 2009)
- The Opium Cartel Ardor (Termo Records 2014)
- Tim Bowness Abandoned Dancehall Dreams (Inside Out Music)