Brogan playing for Forest Green Rovers in 2012/13.
|Full name||Stephen Patrick Brogan|
|Date of birth||12 April 1988|
|Place of birth||Rotherham, England|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Playing position||Utility player|
|Current club||Forest Green Rovers|
|2011||→ Stalybridge Celtic (loan)||12||(3)|
|2012–||Forest Green Rovers||16||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:28, 18 January 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
A product of the youth academy at Rotherham, he made his senior debut on New Year's Eve in 2006 against Leyton Orient. After suffering a serious injury where he sat out for fourteen months with a broken leg, he joined Stalybridge Celtic on a month's loan deal in January 2011, which was later extended, before returning to Rotherham in March.
Born in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, Brogan broke into the Rotherham squad towards the end of the 2006–07 season, soon becoming an automatic choice making 18 starts. On 30 April 2007, Brogan signed a 2-year contract with the Millers. Brogan's consistent impressive displays the following season brought him much praise and frequent Man of the Match awards. As a result, it is reported that several Premier League clubs, including Tottenham Hotspur, showed an interest in signing the player, sending scouts to watch his performances.
Brogan was the forerunner to become player of the season 2007–08 until his horrific injury on 9 February, where he suffered a double fracture of his leg in a collision with MK Dons goalkeeper Willy Gueret. Brogan's absence, along with the clubs financial problems, coincided with a huge dip in form for the Millers, who dropped out of the race for promotion. After fourteen months on the sidelines, Brogan came on as a substitute in the final game of the 2008–09 season vs Exeter City.
Stalybridge Celtic loan
On 10 January 2011, Brogan joined Stalybridge on loan for a month. He made his debut against Alfreton Town, in which he scored his first goal for the club in a 5–3 defeat. He went on to play another eleven games, scoring in both of their local derby matches against Hyde and Droylsden.
Following his release by the 'Millers', Brogan was signed by Alfreton Town on transfer deadline day 2011.
He rejoined his former loan club having failed to settle at Alfreton Town.
Forest Green Rovers
On 18 September 2012, it was announced that Brogan has joined Conference National outfit Forest Green Rovers on a deal until the end of the season. Brogan made his Forest Green debut on 22 September 2012, scoring a stoppage time winner against Macclesfield Town. A groin injury kept him out of much of the second half of the 2012–13 season but he was rewarded with a new one-year contract on 11 April 2013.
- "Stephen Patrick Brogan". playerhistory.com. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Stephen Brogan". stalybridgeceltic.co.uk. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Broken leg for Millers youngster". BBC Sport. 10 February 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- Rotherham United's Stephen Brogan joins Preston North End BBC Sport Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- Benson, Iain (8 January 2011). "Entertaining game". stalybridgeceltic.co.uk. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Benson, Iain (24 January 2011). "Celtic draw their first game but it is two points dropped". stalybridgeceltic.co.uk. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Benson, Iain (21 February 2011). "Comfortable Celtic See Off Sorry Tigers". stalybridgeceltic.co.uk. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Reds Make it a Total of Three New Faces". alfretontownfc.com. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- "Forest Green Rovers sign Steve Brogan from Guiseley". BBC Sport. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Macclesfield 1–2 Forest Green". BBC Sport. 22 September 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "Midfielder pens one-year deal". Stroud News & Journal. 12 April 2013.
- "Three Lions Emerge From Forest Green". Football Conference. 29 August 2012.