Stephen C. Earle
|Stephen Carpenter Earle|
June 8, 1867|
|Died||April 9, 1959
|Buildings||Slater Memorial Museum
Jonas Clark Hall
Union Congregational Church
Pilgrim Congregational Church
Stephen Carpenter Earle (January 4, 1839 – December 12, 1913) was an architect who designed a number buildings in Massachusetts and Connecticut that were built in the late 19th century, with many in Worcester, Massachusetts. He trained in the office of Calvert Vaux in New York City. For a time he worked with architect James E. Fuller, under the firm "Earle & Fuller", and later with Clellan W. Fisher under "Earle & Fisher". His masterpiece is the Richardsonian Romanesque Slater Memorial Museum associated with the Norwich Free Academy in Norwich, Connecticut, where he had a generous budget and a sympathetic patron.
He designed university buildings, commercial buildings, churches, and more. Among his university buildings are:
- Clark University, Clark University campus, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Mears Hall, Grinnell College campus, Grinnell, Iowa
- Goodnow Hall, Grinnell College campus, Grinnell, Iowa
- Old Chapel, University of Massachusetts campus, Amherst, Massachusetts
- Armsby Block, 144-148 Main St.
- Bancroft Tower, Bancroft Tower Rd. (Earle & Fisher)
- Hope Cemetery, 119 Webster St.
- John Legg House, 5 Claremont St.
- One or more structures in Oxford-Crown Historic District, Roughly bounded by Chatham, Congress, Crown, Pleasant, Oxford Sts. and Oxford Pl.
- Pilgrim Congregational Church, 909 Main St.
- Providence Street Firehouse, 98 Providence St. (Earle & Fisher)
- Salisbury Factory Building 2, 49-51 Union St.
- South Unitarian Church, 888 Main St. (Earle & Fisher)
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Worcester, Massachusetts), Freeland St., a Romanesque building built in 1888, listed on the NRHP
- St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church (Worcester, Massachusetts), 693 Southbridge St. (Earle & Fisher)
- D. Wheeler Swift House, 22 Oak Ave.
- Union Congregational Church, 5 Chestnut St. (Earle,Stephen & C. Fisher)
- One or more structures in Washburn Square-Leicester Common Historic District, Main St., Washburn Sq., 3 Paxton St. Leicester MA (Earle & Fisher)
- Whitcomb House, 51 Harvard St.
- Whitcomb Mansion, 51 Harvard St.
- Worcester Art Museum original building, 55 Salisbury St.
- Worcester Five Cents Savings Bank, 316 Main St.
- Leicester Public Library, 1136 Main Street, Leicester, MA
- Lyon Memorial Library (Monson Free Library), 2 High St., Monson, Massachusetts
- One or more structures in Princeton Center Historic District, Jct. of Hubbardston and Mountain Rds., Princeton, Massachusetts
- Old Chapel, at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Rock Castle School, Prospect St., Webster, Massachusetts, (Earle & Fuller)
- Memorial Hall, Canton, Massachusetts
- Carroll Building, 9-15 Main St., and 14-20 Water St., Norwich, Connecticut, a building built in 1887, listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Slater Library and Fanning Annex, 26 Main St., Griswold, Connecticut
- Slater Memorial Museum, said to be perhaps his finest work.
- Park Congregational Church
- UMass people:Stephen C Earle
- Norwich Free Academy: Slater Memorial Museum: History.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.