Stephen D. Glazier
Stephen D. Glazier ( born Mystic, Connecticut) is an American anthropologist. He has conducted extensive fieldwork in Trinidad focusing on Caribbean religions such as Rastafari, Orisa/Sango, and the Spiritual Baptists. He also publishes on Caribbean archaeology and ethnohistory. While a visiting scholar at Yale University, he cataloged Irving Rouse's St. Joseph (Trinidad) and Mayo (Trinidad) collections for the Peabody Museum. Glazier is a member of the Graduate Faculty in Anthropology at the University of Nebraska and offers classes in general (four-field) anthropology, race and minority relations, and the anthropology of belief systems. He began his graduate studies in anthropology at Princeton University under Martin G. Silverman, Hildred Geertz, Alfonso Ortiz, and Vincent Crapanzano. Glazier also earned an M.Div. from Princeton Theological Seminary. His M. Div. thesis—based on experiences as an Assistant Chaplain at New Jersey Neuro Psychiatric Institute—dealt with patterns of schizophrenic speech. He was awarded a Ph. D. in Anthropology from the University of Connecticut  in 1981. His dissertation advisors were Seth Leacock, Dennison J. Nash, and Ronald M. Wintrob. Glazier served as book review editor of the journal Anthropology of Consciousness. He was elected for two terms as President of the Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness. In addition, he served as Vice-President and Secretary of the Society for the Anthropology of Religion and as a Council Member and as Secretary of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion.
- Stephen D. Glazier and Charles A. Flowerday, editors. 2003. Selected Readings in the Anthropology of Religion: Theoretical and Methodological Essays. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Andrew S. Buckser and Stephen D. Glazier, editors. 2003. The Anthropology of Religious Conversion. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Stephen D. Glazier, general editor. 2001. The Encyclopedia of African and African American Religions New York and London: Routledge.
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1999. Anthropology of Religion: A Handbook. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. Marchin' the Pilgrims Home: A Study of Spiritual Baptists of Trinidad. Salem, WI: Sheffield Publishing
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1985. Caribbean Ethnicity Revisited. New York and London: Gordon and Breach.
- Stephen D. Glazier 1980. Spiritual Baptist Music of Trinidad; Recorded in Trinidad by Stephen D. Glazier. FE 4234. New York: Folkways Record and Service Corp. (Re-issued in 1991 by The Smithsonian Institution).
- Noel Titus and Stephen D. Glazier. 2014. "Grenada" Worldmark Encyclopedia of Religious Practices, 2nd edition. Thomas Riggs, editor. Gale Research, vol. 3, pp. 13-18.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2013. "Sango Healers and Healing in the Caribbean." Chapter 7 in Caribbean Healing Traditions: Implications for Health and Mental Health. Patsy Sutherland. Roy Moodley, and Barry Chavannes editors. New York and London: Routledge. pp. 89–100.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2013. "Rastafarianism" in Encyclopedia of Race and Racism, 2nd edition. Patrick L. Mason, editor. New York: Macmillan Reference, pp. 472–474
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. "Religious Developments in the Caribbean Between 1865 and 1945" in The Cambridge History of Religions in America. Vol. II: Religions in America, 1790-1945. Stephen J. Stein, editor. New York and London: Cambridge University Press, pp. 727–748
- Stephen D. Glazier and Mary J. Hallin. 2010. “Health and Illness.” in 21st Century Anthropology, H. James Birx, editor. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference, volume 2, pp. 925–935.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. "Wither Sango?: An Inquiry into Sango's 'Authenticity' and Prominence in the Caribbean " in Sango in Africa and the African Diaspora. Joel E. Tishken, Toyin Falola, and A. Akinyemi, editors. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp. 233–247.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. “African Diaspora, Bible in the Music of.” (pp. 512–516) in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception, edited by Hermann Spleckemann, Choon Leong Seow, Hans-Joseph Klauck, Paul Mendes-Flohr, Bernard McGinn, and Eric Ziolkoeski. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. “The Anthropological Study of Religion." in The World’s Religions: Continuities and Transformations. Peter B. Clarke and Peter Beyer, editors. New York and London: Routledge, pp. 24–39.
- Stephen D. Glazier, Leslie G. Desmangles, and Joseph M. Murphy. 2009. "Understanding Caribbean Religions." Chapter 10 in Understanding the Contemporary Caribbean. 2nd edition. Richard S. Hillman and Thomas J. D'Agostino, editors. Boulder, CO and London: Lynne Rienner, pp. 289–338.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2006. "Being and Becoming a Rastafarian: Notes on the Anthropology of Religious Conversion." in Rastafari: A Universal Philosophy for the Third Millennium. Werner Zips, Editor. Kingston, Jamaica: Ian Randle Publishers, pp. 256–281.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2005. "Mystic, Connecticut" (p. 1486); "Free Will Baptists" (pp. 1305–1306); "Paugussets" (pp. 392–393); and "Camp Meeting Grounds" (p. 1297). The Encyclopedia of New England. David A. Watters and Burt Feintuch, editors. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2005. “Caribbean Religions: Pre-Columbian” (volume III, pp. 1426–1432) and “Caribbean Religions: History of Study” (volume XV, pp. 10023–10030). The Encyclopedia of Religion. Second Edition. Lindsay Jones, general editor. New York: Macmillan Reference.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2003. "Limin' wid Jah: Spiritual Baptists Who Become Rastafarians and Then Become Spiritual Baptists Again." The Anthropology of Religious Conversion. Andrew Buckser and Stephen D. Glazier, editors. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, pp. 149–170
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1999. Three entries: "Benjamin W. Arnett;" "John Mifflin Brown", and "William Wallace Fenn." American National Biography. J. A. Garraty and M. C. Carnes, editors. New York: Oxford University Press
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1996. “Changes in the Spiritual Baptist Religion, 1976-1990.” Ay BoBo: Afro-Caribbean Cults: Identity and Resistance. Teil 1: Kulte. Manfred Kremser, editor. Wien: Institut fur Volkerkunde der Universitat Wien, pp. 107–114
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1995. "New Religious Movements in the Caribbean: Identity and Resistance." Born Out of Resistance: Caribbean Cultural Creativity as a Response to European Expansion. Wim Hoogbergen, editor. Utrecht: University of Utrecht/ ISOR Press, pp. 253–262
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1993. "Responding to the Anthropologist:: When the Spiritual Baptists of Trinidad Read What I Write About Them." When They Read What We Write: The Politics of Ethnography. Caroline B. Brettell, editor. New York: Bergin and Garvey, pp. 37–48
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1992. "A Comparative Study of Caribbean Pilgrimages: Haiti and Trinidad.' Sacred Journeys: The Anthropology of Pilgrimage. E. Alan Morinis, editor. Westport, CT: Greenwood, pp. 135-147.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. "Impressions of Aboriginal Technology: The Case of the Caribbean Canoe." Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Caribbean Archaeology. E. N. Ayubi and Jay Haviser, editors. Willemstad, Curacao: Instituto di Arkeologia i Antropologia di Antia Ulandes, pp. 149–161.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. "A Revised Aboriginal Ethnohistory of Trinidad" (with Alfredo E. Figueredo). Spanish Borderlands Sourcebook, vol. 13. David Hurst Thomas, general editor. New York: Garland, pp. 237–240
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. "Religion: Amerindian Traditions." The Christopher Columbus Encyclopedia, volume 2. S. Berdino, editor. New York: Simon and Schuster, pp. 588–591.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1987. "Race and Race Relations in Trinidad. " The International Handbook of Race and Race Relations. Jay Sigler, editor. Westport, CT: Greenwood, pp. 321–337
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1987. "Caribbean Religions: Pre-Columbian." The Encyclopedia of Religion, volume III. Mircea Eliade, editor. New York: Free Press/Macmillan, pp. 81–90.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1980. "The Boye in lsland-Carib Culture." in La antropologia americanista en al actualidad: Homenaje al Raphael Girard. vol. 2, Mexico City: Editores Mexicanas Unidos, pp. 34–46
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. "If 'Old Heads' Could Talk." Anthropologica 54 (2): 199-209.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2008. ”Demanding Spirits and Reluctant Devotees: Belief and Unbelief in the Trinidadian Orisa Movement." Social Analysis 52 (1):19-38.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2006. "Beyond a Boundary’: Life, Death and Cricket in Trinidadian Concepts of the Afterlife." Anthropology and Humanism 31 (2):172-184
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2001. "Adumbrations of Dread: Millennial Visions among Trinidad's Spiritual Baptists." Journal of Ritual Studies 15 (1): 17-26
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1997. "Embedded Truths: Creativity and Context in Spiritual Baptist Music." Latin American Music Review 18(1): 44-56
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1996. "New World African Ritual: Genuine and Spurious." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 35 (4): 421-432.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1995. "Latin American Perspectives on Religion and Politics." Latin American Research Review 30 (1): 247-255
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1993. Editor's Introduction: "Spiritual Baptists, Shango, and other African-Derived Religions in the Caribbean." Caribbean Quarterly 39 (Stephen D. Glazier, guest editor), pp. v-viii; 1-11
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. "Funerals and Mourning in the Spiritual Baptist and Chango Traditions." Revista America Negra 1 (2): 123-134 (Pontifica Universidad Javeriana, Bogota, Colombia)
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1988. "The Religious Mosaic: Playful Celebration in Trinidadian Shango." Play and Culture. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Press, pp. 216–225
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1986. "Heterodoxy and Heteropraxy in the Spiritual Baptist Faith." Revista/Review Interamericana 16 (Spring-Winter): 47-66.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1985. "Syncretism and Separation: Ritual Change in an Afro-Caribbean Faith." Journal of American Folklore 98 (387): 49-62
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1985. "Mourning in the Afro-Baptist Tradition: A Comparative Study of Religion in the American South and Trinidad." Southern Quarterly 23:: 141-156
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1985. "Religion and Social Justice: Caribbean Perspectives." Phylon 46 (2): 283-299
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1984. "Organizacion social y economica de los Baptistas Espirituales con atencion especial a sus misiones en Venezuela." Revista Montalban 15: 5-41.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1983. "Spiritual Baptist Outreach from Trinidad." Cultural Survival Quarterly 7(3): 38-40.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1983. "Cultural Pluralism and Respectability in Trinidad." Ethnic and Racial Studies 6(3): 351-355
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1982. "The St. Joseph's and Mayo Collections from Trinidad, West Indies." Florida Anthropologist 35 (2): 208-215
- Stephen D. Glazier and Alfredo E. Figueredo. 1982. "Spatial Behavior, Ethnicity and Social Organization in the Prehistory of Trinidad." Journal de la Societe des Americanistes (Paris) 68: 33-40.
Editorial Advisory Boards
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2013-. PentecoStudies: An Interdisciplinary Journal for Research on the Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements. Sheffield, UK: Equinox
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2013- Open Theology. Katarzyna Tempczyk, editor. Berlin: De Gruyter Open
- Stephen D. Glazier, David Hicks, and Richard Warms. 2011. Anthropology of Religion: Critical Concepts in Religious Studies, edited by Phillips Stevens Jr and Denice J. Szafran. New York and London: Routledge.
Graduate Dissertation Committees
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. Member, Ph. D. dissertation defense committee, Mary J. Hallin, Geography and Indigenous Studies, University of Nebraska-Lincoln: "Collaboration Between Traditional and Biomedical Practitioners in the Bui Division, Cameroon."
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. Member, Ph. D. dissertation defense committee, Christopher R. H. Garneau, Sociology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln: "Perceived Stigma and Stigma Management of Midwest Seculars."
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. Ph. D. dissertation committee (outside member),Tamasin Ramsay, Monash University, Victoria, Australia: "Custodians of Purity: an Ethnography of the Brahman Kumaris."
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. Chair, MA thesis committee, Anthropology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Don Arp Jr: "The Aputu: An Examination and Analysis of a War Club Form Distinctive to the Guianas."
- Stephen D. Glazier, 2014. Member, MA thesis committee. Anthropology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln: “Emerging from the Shadows: Civil War, Human Rights, and Peace-building among Peasants and Indigenous Peoples in Columbia and Peru in the Late 20th and Early 21st Centuries,” by Charles A. Flowerday. Martha McCollough, Chair.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2005. Member, MA thesis committee, Anthropology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Gwendolyn K. Meister: “A Passion for the Work: A Study of Decision-Making and Public Folklorists' Careers.” Patricia Draper, Chair.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2014. Getting the Holy Ghost: Urban Ethnography in a Brooklyn Pentecostal Tongue-Speaking Church, by Peter Marina. PentecoStudies 13(2): 268-269.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2014. The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of Ritual and Religion, edited by Timothy Insoll. Religion 44(2): 340-344
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. “Mek Some Noise”: Gospel Music and the Ethics of Style in Trinidad, by Timothy Rommen. Journal of American Folklore 125 (497): 377-378.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. Caribbean Religious History, by Ennis Edmonds and Michelle A. Gonzalez. Journal of Latin American Studies 43 (3): 590-591.
- Stephen D. Glazier and Alfredo E. Figueredo. 2011. Caciques and Cemi Idols: The Web Spun by Taino Rulers between Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, by Jose R. Oliver. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (n .s.) 17: 414 -415.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2010. Chanting Down the New Jerusalem: Calypso, Christianity, and Capitalism in the Caribbean, by Francio Guadeloupe. Church History 79 (1): 239-241.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. Taino Indian Myth and Practice: The Arrival of the Stranger King, by William F. Keegan. American Ethnologist 36 (3): 600-602.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. The Black Madonna in Latin America and Europe: Tradition and Transformation, by Malgorzala Oleszkiewicz-Peralba. Journal of Anthropological Research 65 (1): 175-176.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. On the Margins of Religion, edited by Frances Pine and Julia de Pina-Cabral. Anthropos 104 (2): 627-629
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2006. Callaloo Nation: Metaphors of Race and Religious Identity among South Asians in Trinidad, by Aisha Khan. Ethnic and Racial Studies 29 (3): 577-579
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2004. Native Religions and Cultures of Central and South America. Lawrence E. Sullivan, editor. Ethnohistory 51 (4): 826-828.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2002. Religion, Culture, and Tradition in the Caribbean, edited by H. Gossai and Nathaniel S. Murrell, editors. Nieuwe West-Indische Gids 76 (3&4): 366-368.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1999. Jamaica Genesis: Religion and the Politics of Moral Orders, by Diane J. Austin-Broos. American Ethnologist 26 (3): 768-769
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1998. Explorations in Anthropology and Theology, edited by Frank A. Salamone and Walter R. Adams. American Anthropologist 100 (2): 547-548.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1997. Santeria from Africa to the New World: The Dead Sell Memories, by George Brandon. History of Religions 36 (4): 395-396.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1996. Wolves From the Sea: Readings in the Anthropology of the Native Caribbean, edited by Neil L. Whitehead. American Anthropologist 98 (2): 454-455.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1988. Theoretical Explorations in African Religion, edited by Wim van Binsbergen and M. Schoffeleers. Anthropos 83 (4/6): 579.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1988. Evangelicalism: The Coming Generation, by James D. Hunter. Theology Today 44: 521-525.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1985. After Africa, edited by Roger D. Abrahams and John Szwed. Research in African Literatures 16: 93-96
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1984. Person and Myth: Maurice Leenhardt in the Melanesian World, by James Clifford. Anthropological Quarterly 57: 41-42
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1982. Icon and Conquest: A Structural Analysis of the Illustrations of De Bry's "Great Voyages," by Bernadette Bucher. Terrae Incognitae 14: 139-141
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1982. Sacrifice, edited by Meyer Fortes and M. F. C. Bourdillion. Journal of Biblical Literature 101: 596-597
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1979. The Study of Regional Cults, by Richard Werbner. Reviews in Anthropology 6: 229-234