|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Ely|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Ely|
|Installed||5 March 2011|
|Predecessor||Rt Revd Anthony Russell|
|Other posts||Bishop of Ramsbury (2006–2011)
Area bishop of Ramsbury (2006–2009)
|Consecration||22 June 2006|
|Born||22 December 1957|
|Alma mater||Keble College, Oxford|
The Right Reverend Stephen David Conway SCP (born 22 December 1957) is the current Bishop of Ely, and was until 6 December 2010 the area/suffragan Bishop of Ramsbury (the last area bishop under that diocese's 1981–2009 area scheme.)
Conway was educated at Archbishop Tenison's Grammar School, Keble College, Oxford, and Selwyn College, Cambridge. After a period of study at Westcott House, Cambridge, he was ordained in 1987. His ecclesiastical career began with a curacy at Heworth, Tyne and Wear, after which he was Director of Ordinands for the Diocese of Durham and then Priest in Charge (and subsequently Vicar) of Cockerton. From here he became Senior Chaplain to the Bishop of Durham, Michael Turnbull, and subsequently Archdeacon of Durham.
On 2 May 2006, his nomination as Bishop of Ramsbury was announced, and he was consecrated on 22 June 2006. Following the retirement of David Stancliffe as Bishop of Salisbury in July 2010, Conway was made responsible for the administration of that diocese. On 31 August 2010, it was announced that he would be the next Bishop of Ely. He was elected by the College of Canons at Ely on 18 October 2010, and the election was confirmed by the provincial court on 6 December 2010, at which point he legally became the Bishop of Ely. His installation and enthronement was held in Ely Cathedral on 5 March 2011.
In accordance with constitutional practice, upon becoming the twenty-sixth most senior bishop in the Church of England (after the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Archbishop of York, the Bishops of London, Durham and Winchester, and the nineteen other longest serving Bishops), Conway one of the Lords Spiritual of the House of Lords on 4 June 2014. He was introduced to the House on Monday, 7 July 2014.
- Stephen Conway esq (1957–c1986)
- The Revd Stephen Conway (c1986–2002)
- The Ven Stephen Conway (2002–2006)
- The Rt Revd Stephen Conway (2006–present)
- Northern Echo — Standing Tall
- Official Nomination of Suffragan See of Ramsbury, 10 Downing Street website, 2 May 2006.
- Anglican Communion
- Salisbury Diocesan Synod minutes – 99th session, 7 November 2009 p. 3 (Accessed 23 April 2014)
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Diocese of Ely, 10 Downing Street website, 31 August 2010.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- The London Gazette: . 15 June 2006. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- Diocese of Ely – March 5th date set for Installation and Children's Event (Accessed 11 April 2014)
- "Bishop of Ely". UK Parliament. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "House of Lords Business: Monday 7 July 2014 at 2.30 pm". UK Parliament. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Debrett's People of Today London, 2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- BBC Wiltshire
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Ramsbury
|Bishop of Ely