Background and education
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2013)|
His first published poetry appeared in 1979 in the Tasmanian literary quarterly Island (originally The Tasmanian Review). From 1986 to the present he has been subeditor of Island and was poetry editor between 1989 and 1994. He is the author of seven books of poetry.
As well as extensive publication of his verse in print media, Stephen Edgar has published poetry in online poetry magazines such as Snorkel, The Poetry Foundation, The Chimaera, and The Flea.
Edgar's Eldershaw (2013) was shortlisted for the Queensland Literary Awards (2013) and the Prime Minister's Literary Awards (2014).
- 1984 — Harri Jones Memorial Prize for Poetry
- 2003 — Grace Leven Prize for Poetry and William Baylebridge Memorial Prize (for Lost in the Foreground)
- 2005 — Australian Book Review Poetry Prize (for his poem “Man on the Moon”)
- 2006 — Philip Hodgins Memorial Medal for an outstanding contribution to Australian literature, at the Mildura Writers’ Festival.
- 2009 — William Baylebridge Memorial Prize (for History of the Day)
- 2011 — Dorothy Porter Poetry Prize (co-winner, for the poem 'All Eyes')
- 2013 — Australian Catholic University Literature Award (for the poem ‘The Dancer')
- 2014 — Colin Roderick Award (co-winner, for Eldershaw)
- Queuing for the Mudd Club (Hobart, Twelvetrees Publishing Company, 1985, ISBN 0-9590082-0-9)
- Ancient Music (Sydney, Angus and Robertson, 1988, ISBN 0-207-15698-0)
- Corrupted Treasures (Melbourne, William Heinemann Australia, 1995, ISBN 0-85561-545-1)
- Where the Trees Were (Canberra, Indigo/Ginninderra Press, 1999, ISBN 1-74027-013-4)
- Lost in the Foreground (Sydney, Duffy and Snellgrove, 2003, ISBN 1-876631-64-3; reprinted Warners Bay, Picaro Press, 2008, ISBN 978-1-920957-53-7)
- Other Summers (Melbourne, Black Pepper publishing, 2006, ISBN 1-876044-54-3)
- Photography for Beginners (Compact Disc, Spit Junction, River Road Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-9804148-2-0)
- History of the Day (Melbourne, Black Pepper publishing, 2009, ISBN 978-1-876044-62-6)
- The Red Sea: New & Selected Poems (Fort Worth, Baskerville Publishers, 2012, ISBN 978-1-880909-78-2)
- Eldershaw (Melbourne, Black Pepper publishing, 2013, ISBN 978-1-876044-78-7)
- Exhibits of the Sun (Melbourne, Black Pepper publishing, 2014, ISBN 978-1-876044-88-6)
- For further information on Australian poets see List of Australian poets
- "Stephen Edgar". Snorkel.
- "Stephen Edgar". The Poetry Foundation.
- "Issue 5". The Chimaera. February 2009.
- "Broadsheet 1". The Flea. May 2009.
- Hart, Kevin, entry on Stephen Edgar in The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-Century Poetry in English, edited by Ian Hamilton (OUP, 1994)
- James, Clive (January 2009). "An Almost Perfect Break-up Poem". Poetry Foundation.