Stephen Gaukroger (born 1954) is a British philosopher and intellectual historian. He is Professor of History of Philosophy and History of Science at the University of Sydney. Recently he also took up a position as Professor of Philosophy at the University of Aberdeen.
- Explanatory Structures: a study of concepts of explanation in early physics and philosophy (1978)
- Descartes: philosophy, mathematics and physics (1980)
- Cartesian logic: an essay on Descartes's conception of inference (1989)
- Descartes: an intellectual biography (1995)
- The Genealogy of Knowledge: analytical essays in the history of philosophy and science (1997)
- Justification, Truth, and the Development of Science (1998)
- The Soft Underbelly of Reason: the passions in the seventeenth century (1998)
- Francis Bacon and the Transformation of Early-modern Philosophy (2001)
- Descartes' System of Natural Philosophy (2002)
- The Emergence of a Scientific Culture: Science and the Shaping of Modernity 1210-1685. Oxford University Press. 2006. ISBN 978-0-19-955001-2.
- The Collapse of Mechanism and the Rise of Sensibility: Science and the Shaping of Modernity, 1680-1760. Oxford University Press. 2011. ISBN 978-0-19-959493-1.
- Official Page
- "Natural Philosophy and a New World Picture", Stephen Gaukroger, Berfrois, 22 December 2010