Stephen J. Gordon
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2012)|
Stephen Gordon in 2008
|Full name||Stephen J. Gordon|
September 4, 1986 |
|FIDE rating||2500 (December 2014)|
|Peak rating||2556 (September 2012)|
Stephen J. Gordon (born September 4, 1986) is a chess grandmaster from Oldham, Greater Manchester, England. In September 2004, he took a break from his A-level studies at The Blue Coat School, Oldham to compete in the thirteenth Monarch Assurance Isle of Man International.
In 2005, while still a FIDE Master, he finished 6th in the British Championships ahead of a Grandmaster and several International Masters.
At the EU Individual Open Chess Championship held at Liverpool in 2006, he led the tournament after eight rounds and finished a very creditable (joint) second, a half point behind winner Nigel Short and level with Luke McShane among others.
Probably his best result to date however, was second place in the 2007 British Championship, narrowly losing his share of the lead in the final round. In previous rounds, he defeated both tournament victor Jacob Aagaard and previous champion Jonathan Rowson.
By 2008, his rating had reached grandmaster level, although the title itself had not yet been secured. At the British Championship in Liverpool, he almost repeated his performance of the previous year, by taking a share of third place. He was the British under-21 Champion each consecutive year between 2005 and 2008. He became a grandmaster on August 1, 2009.
He has been one of the co-presenters of the chess podcast The Full English Breakfast since its inaugural show in October 2010.
- British Under 10 Champion - 1997
- England Under 11 Champion - 1998
- England Junior Squad Under 18 Champion - 2003
- England Junior Squad Under 21 Champion - 2003
- Isle of Man Under 18 Champion - 2002, 2003
- British Under 18 Champion - 2005
- British Under 21 Champion - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- European Union Individual Championship 2006
- Crosstable for 2008 British Championship
- List of British Champions in all age ranges
- The Full English Breakfast
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephen J. Gordon.|