Stephen J. Lawrence
Career overview to date (as of January 2011): composed over 250 songs and scores for Sesame Street, resulting in three shared Emmy Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition; composed the title song and several others for Marlo Thomas' Free to Be... You and Me, the landmark million-selling record, book and Emmy Award and Peabody Award-winning television special; composed the million-selling single You Take My Breath Away and being awarded three Gold Records; scored the Robert De Niro movie Bang The Drum Slowly and the cult horror classic Alice, Sweet Alice, which won the music award from the Paris Festival of Fantasy and Science Fiction; composed the songs and score for the live-action movie musical Red Riding Hood starring Isabella Rossellini and Craig T. Nelson lyrics by Michael Korie; composed the HBO animated musical The Tale of Peter Rabbit, starring Carol Burnett, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.
Awards and nominations
- Three shared Emmys: Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition, Sesame Street1989-1990, 2001-2002, and 2002-2003.
- Emmy certificates 2007 & 2008
- Gold Record for You Take My Breath Away signifying sales of over one million copies.
- Gold Record for Free to Be... You and Me signifying sales of 500,000 copies, although it went on to sell over a million.
- Gold Record for Sooner Or Later, the soundtrack of the 1979 NBC TV movie which included "You Take My Breath Away", signifying sales of 500,000 copies.
- Music Award from the Paris International Film Festival of Fantasy and Science Fiction for Alice, Sweet Alice (also known as 'Communion').
- Sesame Street - Composed over 250 songs and scores.
- Free to Be... You and Me - ABC special based on the record and book. Composed title song and others. Musical Director.
- Sooner Or Later - (NBC, 1979). Original music composed for the TV movie.
- It Happened One Christmas - Universal/ABC, starring Marlo Thomas and Orson Welles. Composed score.
- Sesame Street Stays Up Late - A New Year's Celebration - Sesame Street Special. Composed songs and score.
- Please Don't Eat The Pictures: Sesame Street at Metropolitan Museum of Art - Sesame Street Special. Composed songs.
- The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss - Jim Henson Productions & Nickelodeon. Composed score.
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit - HBO animated musical starring Carol Burnett. Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick. Written by Tony Geiss. Composed songs and score.
- Trackdown, Finding The Goodbar Killer – TV movie, Produced by Grosso-Jacobson.
- Dorothy In The Land of Oz – CBS. Composed songs and score.
- Hothouse –Lorimar/ ABC series. Composed score.
- Feeling Good –PBS series. Composer and music director.
- Bang the Drum Slowly starring Robert De Niro and Michael Moriarty .
- One Summer Love (also released as Dragonfly) starring Susan Sarandon and Beau Bridges.
- Red Riding Hood. Live action musical starring Isabella Rossellini and Craig T. Nelson. Songs and score.
- Hurry Up Or I'll Be 30 starring Danny DeVito.
- The Emperor's New Clothes. Live action musical starring Sid Caesar and Robert Morse. Songs and score.
- Alice, Sweet Alice, also known as Communion, starring Brooke Shields.
- Music supervisor for seven live action feature musicals: Cannon MovieTales.
- Composed incidental music for Little Duck by Billy Aronson at Ensemble Studio Theater. 2009
- Composed three songs for A... My Name Is Alice. Outer Critics Drama Award
- Composed incidental music for the Broadway play The Big Love starring Tracey Ullman.
- Composed incidental score for Manhattan Theater Club production of Some People, Some Other People, And What They Finally Do.
- Composed score for No Dogs Allowed, a children's musical. Book by Sonia Manzano, Lyrics by Billy Aronson. Commissioned by Actor's Playhouse, Coral Gables 2006. Revived 2008. New production at Atlantic Theater Company, New York City 2009.
- Composed music for historical musicals for children for his company, Quill Entertainment Company. Shows include: Everybody's Watching: The Making of the Constitution, Glory Road (Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad), Dream (Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Bus Boycott), Paul Revere Rides Again
- "StephenLawrenceMusic.com". Retrieved January 2011.