Stephen J. Lawrence
Career overview to date (as of October 6th, 2014): composed more than 300 songs and scores for Sesame Street, resulting in three Emmy Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition; composed the title song and four others for Marlo Thomas's Free to Be... You and Me, the landmark million-selling record, book and Emmy Award- and Peabody Award-winning ABC television special; composed the million-selling Gold Record You Take My Breath Away; scored the Robert De Niro movie Bang the Drum Slowly and the cult horror classic Alice, Sweet Alice, which won the music award at the Paris International Festival of Fantasy and Science Fiction; composed score for "One Summer Love", 1976, AKA "Dragonfly", composed the songs and score for the 1989 live-action movie musical Red Riding Hood starring Isabella Rossellini and Craig T. Nelson, lyrics by Michael Korie; composed songs for the live-action movie musical The Emperor's New Clothes, starring Sid Caesar and Robert Morse; composed songs and score for "The Tale of Peter Rabbit", an HBO animated musical starring Carol Burnett, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick. Stephen was born in 1939. Spouses: Christine Jones (Married: 1984; Divorced: 1990). Cathy Schwartzman Lawrence (Married: 2002). Daughter: Hannah Lawrence (Born 1986).
Awards and nominations
- Three Emmy Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition, Sesame Street1989-1990, 2001-2002, and 2002-2003.
- Emmy nominations for Sesame Street: 2011-1012, 2007, 2008, 1994-1995, 2001-2002, 1989-1990, 1995-1996.
- Emmy certificate for Free To Be...You And Me, 1974.
- Emmy certificate for Hot Hero Sandwich (Title Song), 1979-1980.
- Gold Record for You Take My Breath Away signifying sales of over one million copies.
- Gold Record for Free to Be... You and Me signifying sales of 500,000 copies, although it went on to sell over a million.
- Gold Record for Sooner Or Later, the soundtrack of the 1979 NBC TV movie which included "You Take My Breath Away", signifying sales of 500,000 copies.
- Music Award from the Paris International Film Festival of Fantasy and Science Fiction for Alice, Sweet Alice (also known as 'Communion').
- Sesame Street Television series. Composed more than 300 songs and scores. Arranger and Conductor. 1984-2012.
- Free to Be... You and Me. ABC television special based on the record and book, 1974. Composed title song and four others; Musical Director and Arranger.
- Sooner or Later. NBC television movie, 1979. Composed original songs and score.
- It Happened One Christmas. Universal/ABC television movie, 1977; starring Marlo Thomas and Orson Welles. Composed score.
- Sesame Street Stays Up Late!. Sesame Street New Year's Eve television special, 1993. Composed songs and score.
- Don't Eat the Pictures: Sesame Street at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Sesame Street television special, 1983. Composed songs.
- The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss. Jim Henson Productions and Nickelodeon television series, 1996–97. Composed score.
- "The Tale of Peter Rabbit". An episode of HBO's Storybook Musicals series, an animated musical starring Carol Burnett. Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick. Written by Tony Geiss. Composed songs and score.
- Trackdown, Finding The Goodbar Killer – TV movie, Produced by Grosso-Jacobson. Composed score.
- Dorothy In The Land of Oz – Animated television special that aired on CBS in 1980. Starring Sid Caesar. Composed songs and score.
- Hothouse – Lorimar/|ABC television series. Composed score.
- Feeling Good – Children's Television Workshop series. 1971-1972. Composer and music director.
- Bang the Drum Slowly starring Robert De Niro and Michael Moriarty. Composed original score and arranged additional music.
- One Summer Love (also released as Dragonfly) starring Susan Sarandon and Beau Bridges. Composed score.
- Red Riding Hood. Live action musical starring Isabella Rossellini and Craig T. Nelson. Composed songs and score.
- Hurry Up Or I'll Be 30 starring Danny DeVito. Composed score.
- The Emperor's New Clothes. Live action musical starring Sid Caesar and Robert Morse. Composed songs.
- Alice, Sweet Alice, also known as Communion, starring Brooke Shields. Composed score.
- Music supervisor for seven live action feature musicals: Cannon MovieTales.
- Now Is The Time For All Good Men. 1967. Music Director and Co-Orchestrator.
- Composed incidental music for Little Duck by Billy Aronson at Ensemble Studio Theater. 2009
- Composed three songs for A... My Name Is Alice. Outer Critics Drama Award.
- Composed incidental music for the Broadway play The Big Love starring Tracey Ullman.
- Composed incidental score for Manhattan Theater Club production of Some People, Some Other People, And What They Finally Do.
- Composed score for No Dogs Allowed, a children's musical. Book by Sonia Manzano, Lyrics by Billy Aronson. Commissioned by Actor's Playhouse, Coral Gables 2006. Revived 2008. New production at Atlantic Theater Company, New York City 2009.
- Composed songs for American history musicals for children for his company, Quill Entertainment Company. Shows include: Everybody's Watching: The Making of the Constitution, Glory Road (Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad), Dream (Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Bus Boycott), Paul Revere Rides Again
- Blue Roses (based on The Glass Menagerie). 2014. Orchestration consultant.
- "StephenLawrenceMusic.com". Retrieved January 2011.