Stephen Leacock Collegiate Institute
|Stephen Leacock Collegiate Institute
John Buchan Senior Public School
|2450 Birchmount Road
Tam O'Shanter – Sullivan, Scarborough, Ontario, M1T 2M5, Canada
|School number||4208 / 945250
4609 / 283371
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Scarborough Board of Education)
|Oversight||Toronto Lands Corporation|
|Area trustee||Shaun Chen|
|Principals||Leacock: Anita Wong
Buchan: Franklin Liu
|School type||Public middle school
Public high school
It is up to you
|Team name||Leacock Lions|
|Colours||Blue and Orange|
|Homepage||Stephen Leacock Collegiate Institute|
Stephen Leacock Collegiate Institute (SLCI, Stephen Leacock, or Leacock) and John Buchan Senior Public School (JBSPS, John Buchan or Buchan) are two public middle and secondary schools in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada owned and operated by the Toronto District School Board that were originally part of the Scarborough Board of Education. Serving the Tam O'Shanter – Sullivan community, the school offers business, math and technology courses. Leacock's motto is Tuum Est, which means "It is Up to You".
Built in 1969 in a 20 acre property on Birchmount Road just north of Sheppard Avenue, John Buchan opened on September 2, 1969 and Stephen Leacock Collegiate opened on September 8, 1970 as the borough's fifteenth collegiate institute. Both schools are connected to one building on Birchmount Road and forms a larger kindergarten to Grade 12 campus with Pauline Johnson Jr. Public School.
Leacock offers the APEX Advanced Placement program. It also has the excellent leadership opportunities for students, strong tradition of excellence in Math and Science Competitions and follows the strict Code of Behaviour with visual identification.
Both Leacock and Buchan are situated in one building located on 2450 Birchmount Road as both schools share an auditorium and library while the layout is separated from the rest of both schools. Located in 21 acres at a combined 247,263 sq. ft. building with three floors, both schools contain over 40 classrooms/science labs, two floor library, cafeteria, specialized television and radio studios, four gymnasia, 1000 seat auditorium with DMX lighting console and the 3-bay automotive shop.
The 23 m, 6 lane pool is shared by both schools and is oversighted by the board's realtor subsidiary, Toronto Lands Corporation and is used by several swimming clubs/schools such as C & C Aquatic Club, Champion Athletic Club, Chaco’s Winner Swimming Club, J. Dolphins School of Swimming and Wendy and Yaya’s School of Swimming.
- Elva Ni- Winner of the Miss Chinese Toronto Pageant 2005
- Tharanga Ramanayake Much Music 1997
- Mike Myers 1982
- Vicky Sunohara
- Rick Houghton: Until recently, Houghton was employed for the past 22 years in the Toronto Film and Television community. He has been involved in the production of literally thousands of shows in the course of his career as an editor, producer, writer and director. He has worked for a diverse range of clients including, Warner Brothers, Alliance Atlantis, and Columbia TriStar to name but a few. His extensive practical experience enables him to instruct students in all areas of communications technology. Television production, special effects compositing, web design and a wide array of advanced computer expertise are just a few of the many transferable skills from industry that Houghton brings to Leacock Television. By applying these highly specialized technologies he is able to enhance student learning and create a diverse and interesting learning environment in his subject area.
Twice nominated for Teacher of the Year in the Premier's Awards for Teaching Excellence (2009, 2011), Houghton holds a Bachelor's degree in Communication Studies from the University of Windsor and a Bachelor of Education degree from the University of Toronto.
- "Stephen Leacock Collegiate Institute". Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Stephen Leacock Collegiate Institute
- John Buchan Senior Public School
- TDSB Profile (Leacock)
- TDSB Profile (Buchan)
- Leacock Guidance