Stephen Orgel is Professor of English at Stanford University. Best known as a scholar of Shakespeare, Orgel writes primarily about the political and historical context of Renaissance literature.
Orgel received his B.A. from Columbia University in 1954 and his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1959. He has taught at Stanford since 1985.
Selected critical works
- The Illusion of Power. U California P, 1975.
- Impersonations:The Performance of Gender in Shakespeare's England. Cambridge, 1996.
- The Authentic Shakespeare. Routledge, 2002.
- Imagining Shakespeare. Palgrave, 2003.
- John Milton: The Major Works. Edited by Orgel and Jonathan Goldberg. Oxford, 1991.
- ^ Kermode, Frank (11 January 2004). "Avon Calling". The New York Times. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- ^ "Faculty Profile". Stanford University. Retrieved 3 January 2010.