Stephen Palfrey Webb
|Stephen Palfrey Webb|
|12th Mayor of Salem, Massachusetts|
|Preceded by||Nathaniel Silsbee, Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Stephen G. Wheatland|
|6th Mayor of San Francisco|
October 2, 1854 – June 30, 1855
|Preceded by||Cornelius Kingsland Garrison|
|Succeeded by||James Van Ness|
|3rd Mayor of Salem, Massachusetts|
|Preceded by||Stephen C. Phillips|
|Succeeded by||Joseph S. Cabot|
March 20, 1804|
|Died||September 29, 1879
|Spouse(s)||Hannah Hunt Beckford Robinson, June 9, 1805|
Stephen Palfrey Webb (March 20, 1804 – September 29, 1879) was third and twelfth Mayor of Salem, Massachusetts, serving 1842-1845 and 1860-1863, and the sixth Mayor of San Francisco, California from 1854-1855.
Early life, family life, education, and death 
Stephen Palfrey Webb was born to Captain Stephen Webb and Sara Putnam Palfrey Webb in Salem, Massachusetts on March 20, 1804. Webb graduated from Harvard College in 1824 and studied law with John Glen King. Webb was admitted to the Essex County Bar in 1826 and began his practice of law in Salem.
Political career 
Webb served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives and the Massachusetts Senate. He was elected mayor of Salem, Massachusetts in 1842, 1843, and 1844. Webb was also Treasurer and Clerk of the Essex Railroad in 1849.
Webb moved to San Francisco in approximately 1853, and was elected Mayor for a single term with backing from the Know Nothing movement in 1854. He prepared a report about these vigilance committees) in 1874 entitled A Sketch of the Causes, Operations and Results of the San Francisco Vigilance Committee in 1856.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Essex Institute (July and October, 1878), Essex Institute Historical Collections, Volume XV, July and October, 1878. Nos 3, 4, Salem, Ma.: The Essex Institute, p. 296
- United States Federal Census, Massachusetts Vital Records
- Hurd, D. Hamilton. History of Essex County, Massachusetts: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men, Volume 1, Issue 1. Pg. xvi. Philadelphia : J. W. Lewis & Co., 1888.
- City Council of Salem, Massachusetts. http://www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_Council/formermayors
- Hurd, D. Hamilton. History of Essex County, Massachusetts: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men, Volume 1, Issue 1. Pg. 227. Philadelphia : J. W. Lewis & Co., 1888.
- Massachusetts General Court. Miscellaneous documents on the railroads of Massachusetts. Pg. 18. RareBooksClub.com, 2012
- Webb, Stephen Palfrey. A Sketch of the Causes, Operations and Results of the San Francisco Vigilance Committee in 1856. Aeterna, 2011.
- Mayor's of Salem from the City of Salem, Massachusetts.
- List of mayors of Salem, MA from the Political Graveyard
- San Francisco's Alcades and Mayors
- Works by Stephen Palfrey Webb at Project Gutenberg