|The Rt Revd
HonDLitt BD PGDip BEd
|Bishop of Wakefield|
|Diocese||Diocese of Wakefield|
|Installed||19 July 2003|
|Term ended||20 April 2014 (diocese dissolved)|
|Other posts||Dean of Norwich
Rector, St Michael, Cornhill and honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of London (July 2014 onwards)
|Consecration||1 May 2003|
17 May 1947 |
|Residence||Bishop's Lodge, Wakefield|
|Parents||George Henry Platten & Marjory|
|Children||Two sons; Aidan and Gregory|
|Alma mater||Institute of Education|
Stephen George Platten (born 17 May 1947 in Southgate) is an Anglican bishop. He was the last diocesan Bishop of Wakefield in the Church of England. He was consecrated in this role on 19 July 2003 and immediately prior to that was Dean of Norwich from 1995.
His homepage states that he:
- "... has particular interests in the study of theology and relations with other churches. He has recently been appointed as Chairman of the Church of England Liturgical Commission, which seeks to develop the worshipping life of the church."
It also states that his interests include reading, walking, Northumberland and music.
Platten is married to Rosslie, whose work is focused particularly on children with special needs. They have two sons – Aidan and Gregory – who have both studied at Cuddesdon Theological College and were made deacons in 2003 and ordained priests in 2004. Gregory is Vicar of All Saints' Church, Friern Barnet, and Aidan is the Vicar of St Mark's North Marylebone 
Platten was educated at the Stationers' Company's School. He has a BEd degree from the Institute of Education and a Postgraduate Diploma in Theology from Cuddesdon College. He was awarded a BD degree at Trinity College, Oxford.
Platten was made deacon in 1975 and ordained priest in 1976 in the Diocese of Oxford. His ministry positions include being a residentiary canon at Portsmouth Cathedral and the Diocese of Portstmouth's Director of Ordinands (1983–1990), Archbishop of Canterbury’s Secretary for Ecumenical Affairs (1990–1995) and Minister Provincial of the Third Order of St Francis in its European Province (1991–1996).
Platten was admitted to sit in the House of Lords as one of the Lords Spiritual on 22 June 2009.
It was announced on 3 November 2013 that the Diocese of Wakefield, and therefore the post of Bishop of Wakefield, would be dissolved on 20 April 2014. In July 2014, he became Rector or St Michael's, Cornhill in the City of London and an honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of London.
Since 2013, Bishop Stephen has been Chairman of the Council of Hymns Ancient and Modern, Ltd.
- Stephen Platten Esq (1947–1975)
- The Revd Stephen Platten (1975–1983)
- The Revd Canon Stephen Platten (1983–1995)
- The Very Revd Stephen Platten (1995–2003)
- The Rt Revd Stephen Platten (2003—present)
- Pilgrims, Fount, London 1996
- Augustine’s Legacy, Darton, Longman and Todd 1997
- Pilgrim Guide to Norwich Cathedral, Canterbury Press, Norwich 1998
- Cathedrals and Abbeys of England, Jarrold Publishing, Norwich 1999
- Deacons in the Ministry of the Church (with Mary Tanner) Church House Publishing 1988
- Spirit and Tradition: An Essay on Change (with George Pattison), Canterbury Press, Norwich 1996
- Vocation: Singing the Lord's Song in a Strange Land, SPCK, London 2007
- Rebuilding Jerusalem: The Church's hold on hearts and minds, SPCK, London, 2007
He has also edited:
- Marriage, Helen Oppenheimer, Mowbray, London 1990
- Good for the Poor, Michael Taylor, Mowbray, London 1990
- Working with God, Andrew Stokes, Mowbray, London 1992
- The Ethics of I.V.F., Anthony Dyson, Mowbray, London 1995
- Dreaming Spires?: Cathedrals in a New Age, London, 2006
He has edited and contributed to eight books:
- New Surroundings, Darton, Longman and Todd 1997
- Flagships of the Spirit, Darton, Longman and Todd 1998
- Seeing Ourselves: Who are the Interpreters of Contemporary Society, Canterbury Press Norwich 1998
- The Retreat of the State: Nourishing the Soul of Society, Canterbury Press, Norwich 1999
- Ink and Spirit: Literature and Spirituality, Canterbury Press, Norwich 2000
- Open Government, Canterbury Press, Norwich 2000
- Runcie: On Reflection, Canterbury Press 2002
- Anglicanism and the Western Christian Tradition, Canterbury Press 2003
- Church of England — Bishop of Wakefield
- Diocese of Adelaide — Archbishop's Report to the Synod, 31 May 2003 at the Wayback Machine (archived 1 September 2006)
- Diocese of London – St Michael's Cornhill to welcome the Rt Revd Stephen Platten as Rector (Accessed 20 April 2014)
- Stephen Plattern CV — April 2005
- http://www.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/mps_and_lords/new_members.cfm[dead link]
|Church of England titles|
|Dean of Norwich
|Bishop of Wakefield