Stephen Prothero // is a professor in the Department of Religion at Boston University and the author of numerous books on religion in America, including the New York Times bestseller Religious Literacy.
He has commented on religion on dozens of National Public Radio programs and on television on CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, MSNBC, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and The Colbert Report. He was the chief editorial consultant for the six-hour WGBH television series "God in America" and he has served as a consultant on U.S. religious history at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. A regular contributor to USA Today, he has also written for The New York Times Magazine, The New York Times Book Review, Slate, Salon.com, The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe and The Wall Street Journal.
Prothero has argued for mandatory public school Bible literacy courses (along the lines of the Bible Literacy Project's The Bible and Its Influence), along with mandatory courses on world religions. Prothero describes himself as "religiously confused."
- The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation (2012, ISBN 978-0-06-212343-5)
- God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World—and Why Their Differences Matter (2010, ISBN 978-0-06-157127-5)
- Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know - and Doesn't (2007, ISBN 0-06-084670-4)
- A Nation of Religions: The Politics of Pluralism in Multireligious America (2006, ISBN 0-8078-5770-X)
- American Jesus: How the Son of God Became a National Icon (2003, ISBN 0-374-52956-6)
- Purified by Fire: A History of Cremation in America (2001, ISBN 0-520-23688-2)
- The White Buddhist: The Asian Odyssey of Henry Steel Olcott (1996, ISBN 0-520-23688-2)
- March 19, 2007 - Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart 
- June 5, 2010 - After Words 
- June 14, 2010 - The Colbert Report 
- October 12, 2010 - The Emily Rooney Show 
- March 29, 2011 - The Colbert Report
- March 13, 2012 - C-SPAN 
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|