Stephen R. Bough
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri|
December 19, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Fernando Gaitan|
|Born||December 1970 (age 44)
Gainesville, Florida, U.S.
|Alma mater||Drury University
Missouri State University
University of Missouri, Kansas City
Stephen Rogers Bough (born December 1970) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri.
Bough was raised in Republic, Missouri and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from Southwest Missouri State University (now Missouri State University) in 1993. He received a Juris Doctorate from the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Law in 1997. Bough served as a law clerk to Judge Scott Olin Wright of the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. From 1999 to 2002, he practiced law at Shamberg, Johnson & Bergman and from 2002 to 2006, he practiced at Henning & Bough. From 2006 to 2014, he owned a private law practice. From 2011 to 2014, Bough served on the Board of Governors of Missouri State University. Bough served three years on the board of governors of The Missouri Bar and received the Lon O. Hocker award in 2005.
Federal judicial service
On January 16, 2014, President Obama nominated Bough to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, to the seat vacated by Fernando J. Gaitan, Jr., who took senior status on January 3, 2014. On July 24, 2014 a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary was held on his nomination. On September 18, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee by a vote of 10-8. On Saturday, December 13, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On December 16, 2014, the U.S. Senate voted 51-38 in favor of cloture. He was confirmed later that day by a vote of 51-38. He received his federal judicial commission on December 19, 2014. He was sworn in on December 29, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Four to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House, January 16, 2014
- "Missouri State University Board of Governors".
- "Past Recipients of Lon O. Hocker Award".
- ""Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, January 16, 2014".
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Judicial Nomination Hearing July 24, 2014
- Results of Executive Business Meeting - September 18, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 365. United States Senate. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 366. United States Senate. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Biographical Directory of Federal Judges". Federal Judicial Center.
- U.S. District Judge Stephen R. Bough
- Stephen R. Bough at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri