Stephen Thompson (fighter)
February 11, 1983
Simpsonville, South Carolina, United States
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Kempo Karate|
|Fighting out of||Simpsonville, South Carolina, United States|
|Team||Pitch Black MMA|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu Jitsu|
|Years active||2010 – present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Stephen Randall Thompson (born February 11, 1983) is an American mixed martial artist and former kickboxer who currently fights as a welterweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Stephen is undefeated through 37 amateur and 20 professional kickboxing matches, with 28 wins by knockout.
Stephen Thompson is the Head Instructor of the children’s karate program at Upstate Karate in Simpsonville, South Carolina. He is the oldest son of Ray Thompson, who is his trainer and manager. Thompson graduated from high school in 2001. He has been studying martial arts since his pre-teens and holds black belt ranks in Kempo Karate and Kickboxing and a Purple belt in Jujitsu. He studies Brazilian Ju-Jitsu under Carlos Machado who is also his brother-in-law.
Stephen has also been featured in Martial Arts Digest Magazine, Fighter Magazine and MMA Authority Magazine.
Stephen has performed along with his Dad at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts in the “Athletes Project”, and has appeared in several TV commercials.
Bout with Raymond Daniels
Thompson fought fellow unbeaten kickboxing star Raymond Daniels in a highly anticipated bout. Thompson originally lost the history-making bout by TKO due to an injury. The injury suffered during the bout left Thompson unable to continue. The bout was later ruled to be No Contest and is not recognized on either kickboxer's respective records, professional or amateur.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Thompson was expected to face Justin Edwards on February 4, 2012 at UFC 143, replacing an injured Mike Stumpf. However, Edwards was forced out with an injury and replaced by Dan Stittgen. Thompson won the fight via KO in the first round after landing a flush head kick. For his performance, Thompson was awarded Knockout of the Night honors.
Thompson was expected to face Amir Sadollah on May 25, 2013 at UFC 160. However, Sadollah pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Nah-Shon Burrell. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Thompson started fighting at age three. His father was a professional fighter and owned a karate school. Thompson's brother-in-law is Carlos Machado. His brother Evan Thompson is also a mixed martial artist, who competed on the Legacy FC 24 fight card in October 2013.
Championships and accomplishments
All championship information from WonderBoyMMA.com
- 1999 I.S.K.A Georgia State Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 I.S.K.A Southeast Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 I.K.F South East Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Middleweight Champion
- 2000 P.K.C National Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 U.S.A.K.B.F North American Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2001 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Light Heavyweight Champion
- 2002 I.K.F National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2002 I.K.F North American Amateur Tournament Light Cruiserweight Champion
- 2001 P.K.C National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2001 U.S.A.K.B.F Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
- 2001 W.P.K.A Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
- 2003 I.K.F Light Cruiserweight Amateur World Champion
- 2003 I.A.K.S.A Cruiserweight World Champion
- 2005 W.A.K.O Cruiserweight World Champion
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|9 matches||8 wins||1 loss|
|Win||8–1||Chris Clements||KO (punches)||UFC 165||September 21, 2013||2||1:27||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||7–1||Nah-Shon Burrell||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||6–1||Matt Brown||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||6–0||Dan Stittgen||KO (head kick)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||1||4:13||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||5–0||Patrick Mandio||Decision (unanimous)||Fight Party - Masquerade Fight Party||October 1, 2011||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||4–0||William Kuhn||Decision (unanimous)||XC - Xtreme Chaos 2||July 15, 2011||3||5:00||Anderson, South Carolina, United States|
|Win||3–0||Marques Worrell||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Fight Party - Greenville Kage Fighting||September 18, 2010||2||3:08||Greenville, South Carolina, United States|
|Win||2–0||Daniel Finz||TKO (punches)||Fight Party - Xtreme Cage Fighting 2||May 22, 2010||1||3:45||Greenville, South Carolina, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jeremy Joles||KO (punches)||Fight Party - Greenville Kage Fighting||February 5, 2010||2||3:40||Greenville, South Carolina, United States|
- "Wonderboy MMA". Wonderboy MMA. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson - Official UFC® Fighter Profile". Ufc.com. 2012-04-22. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "StephenThompson". Ikfkickboxing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "Stumpf injured, replacement Thompson meets Edwards at UFC 143". mmajunkie.com. January 10, 2011.
- "Justin Edwards injured, Dan Stittgen faces Stephen Thompson at UFC 143". mmajunkie.com. January 19, 2012.
- "Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson added to April's UFC 145 event in Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2012.
- "Stephen Thompson Takes on Besam Yousef at UFC 154". studiomma.com. August 28, 2012.
- "Matt Riddle replaces Stephen Thompson, meets Besam Yousef at UFC 154". MMAjunkie.com. October 29, 2012.
- "Amir Sadollah vs. Stephen Thompson scheduled for Memorial Day weekend UFC event". bloodyelbow.com. January 28, 2013.
- Staff (2013-04-03). "Amir Sadollah injured, Nah-Shon Burrell now meets Stephen Thompson at UFC 160". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- Keith Grienke (2013-07-03). "Can the Menace Stop Wonderboy? Find Out UFC 165 in Toronto!". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "Wonderboy MMA". Wonderboy MMA. Retrieved 2012-07-23.