Stephens County, Georgia
|Stephens County, Georgia|
Stephens County Courthouse in Toccoa
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||August 18, 1905|
|Named for||Alexander Stephens|
|• Total||184 sq mi (477 km2)|
|• Land||179 sq mi (464 km2)|
|• Water||5.1 sq mi (13 km2), 2.8%|
|• Density||146/sq mi (56/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Stephens County comprises the Toccoa, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Created on August 18, 1905 from parts of Franklin County and Habersham County, the County is named after Alexander Stephens, U.S. representative, Vice President of the Confederate States of America, and fifty-third governor of Georgia.
Two courthouses have served Stephens County. The first courthouse was built in 1908, and the second was built in 2000.
- Oconee County, South Carolina (north)
- Franklin County (south)
- Banks County (southwest)
- Habersham County (west)
National protected area
As of the 2010 Census, there were 12,681 housing units, with an average of 2.63 persons per household. The population density was 146 people per square mile (55/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 85.1% White, 10.9% Black or African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.40% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. 2.4% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 86.7 % of the population were Protestant of any denomination.
There were 9,247 households out of which 30.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.60% were married couples living together, 11.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.00% were non-families. 25.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the county the population was spread out with 23.50% under the age of 18, 10.50% from 18 to 24, 26.60% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 15.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 92.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,466, and the median income for a family was $35,660. Males had a median income of $28,067 versus $20,850 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,529. About 11.30% of families and 15.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.30% of those under age 18 and 18.60% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). "Historical Gazetteer of the United States". Routledge. p. 250. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephens County, Georgia.|
- Stephens County Development Authority
- Toccoa-Stephens County Chamber of Commerce
- Things to do in Stephens County
- Stephens County history
- Toccoa-Stephens County community website *North Georgia Technical College
- Toccoa Falls College
||Oconee County, South Carolina|
|Banks County||Franklin County|