Stephenson County, Illinois
|Stephenson County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Illinois's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Benjamin Stephenson|
|• Total||565 sq mi (1,463 km2)|
|• Land||565 sq mi (1,463 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1 km2), 0.09%|
|• Density||85/sq mi (33/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Climate and weather
|Climate chart (explanation)|
In recent years, average temperatures in the county seat of Freeport have ranged from a low of 9 °F (−13 °C) in January to a high of 82 °F (28 °C) in July, although a record low of −27 °F (−33 °C) was recorded in January 1985 and a record high of 101 °F (38 °C) was recorded in July 1988. Average monthly precipitation ranged from 1.33 inches (34 mm) in January to 4.46 inches (113 mm) in June.
- Green County, Wisconsin (north)
- Winnebago County (east)
- Ogle County (southeast)
- Carroll County (southwest)
- Jo Daviess County (west)
- Lafayette County, Wisconsin (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 48,979 people, 19,785 households, and 13,473 families residing in the county. The population density was 87 people per square mile (34/km²). There were 21,713 housing units at an average density of 38 per square mile (15/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 89.29% White, 7.68% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.68% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.63% from other races, and 1.53% from two or more races. 1.53% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 45.0% were of German, 13.5% English-American and 7.0% Irish.
There were 19,785 households out of which 30.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.40% were married couples living together, 9.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.90% were non-families. 27.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.20% under the age of 18, 7.60% from 18 to 24, 27.50% from 25 to 44, 23.30% from 45 to 64, and 16.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,366, and the median income for a family was $48,510. Males had a median income of $36,300 versus $24,238 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,794. About 6.50% of families and 9.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.60% of those under age 18 and 8.50% of those age 65 or over.
There are five public high schools and one private high Schools in the county, enrollment figures, are included.
Public high schools
Private high school
- List of counties in Illinois
- List of Illinois county name etymologies
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Stephenson County, Illinois
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Monthly Averages for Freeport, Illinois". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Stephenson County
- Benjamin Stephenson House Restoration Project
- Stephenson County Historical Society & Museum
- Freeport/Stephenson County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Illinois Ancestors Stephenson Tombstone Project
- Genealogy Trails for Stephenson County
||Lafayette County, Wisconsin||Green County, Wisconsin|
|Jo Daviess County||Winnebago County|
|Carroll County||Ogle County|