|Stereophonic Musical Listenings That Have Been Origin in Moving Film "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"|
|Soundtrack album to Borat by Various Artists|
|Released||October 24, 2006 (iTunes)
October 31, 2006 (U.S.)
|Genre||Traditional, folk, romani|
|Label||Kuzçek Records (fictional)
Stereophonic Musical Listenings That Have Been Origin in Moving Film "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" is the soundtrack to the 2006 mockumentary film Borat, released by (the heretofore nonexistent) "Kuzçek Records" in association with Downtown and Atlantic Records. The soundtrack was released digitally through the iTunes Store on October 24, 2006, and in stores and through other online music stores on Tuesday, October 31, 2006.
The folk music included in the soundtrack has no connection to the authentic music of Kazakhstan. The album features songs mainly by Gypsy artists and includes music by Erran Baron Cohen, founding member of ZOHAR Sound System and brother of Borat star Sacha Baron Cohen, as well as songs sung by Sacha Baron Cohen himself in character as Borat.
In 2006, Macedonian Romani singer Esma Redžepova planned to file a lawsuit against the producers of the movie together with Naat Veliov from Kočani Orkestar (BBC in Macedonian language). She claims that her song "Chaje Šukarije", which is featured in the film, was used without authorization. She demanded an 800,000 euro ($1,000,000) compensation from the producers of the film, otherwise she claimed she would bring the case to court and demand a much higher amount.
O Kazakhstan is the fictional national anthem for Kazakhstan used in the movie. It was composed by Erran Baron Cohen. The tune of the song is similar to that of a military march. The actual Kazakh anthem is "My Kazakhstan", the tune of which is not similar to O Kazakhstan.
In March 2012, the parody national anthem was mistakenly played at the H.H. The Amir of Kuwait International Shooting Grand Prix. The Gold Winning medalist, Maria Dmitrienko, stood on the dais while the entire parody was played. The team complained, and the award ceremony was re-staged. The incident apparently resulted from the wrong song being downloaded from the Internet.
- "Chaje Shukarije" (performed by Esma Redžepova) – 4:22
- "Born to Be Wild" (performed by Fanfare Ciocărlia) – 3:05
- Dialoguing Excerpt from Moviefilm 1 (Borat) – 0:29
- "Siki, Siki Baba" (performed by Kočani Orkestar) – 4:11
- "Gypsy's Kolo" (performed by Jony Iliev & Band) – 2:11
- Dialoguing Excerpt from Moviefilm 2 (Borat) – 0:13
- "Eu Vin Acasa Cu Drag" (performed by Ştefan de la Bărbuleşti – 3:34
- better known as the opening theme to "Borat's Guide to America"
- "In My Country There Is Problem (Throw the Jew Down the Well)" (performed by Sacha Baron Cohen & Anthony Hines) – 2:17
- "Grooming Pubis" (performed by Erran Baron Cohen) – 0:42
- "Magic Mamaliga" (performed by O.M.F.O.) – 2:09
- Dialoguing Excerpt from Moviefilm 3 (Borat) – 0:15
- "Money Boney" (performed by O.M.F.O.) – 2:31
- "You Be My Wife" (performed by Sacha Baron Cohen & Belinda Bedeković) – 3:09
- Ederlezi (Scena Đurđevdana Na Rijeci) (performed by Goran Bregović) – 4:56
- Dialoguing Excerpt from Moviefilm 4 ("Have Truck Die") – 0:10
- "Mahalageasca (Bucovina Dub)" (performed by Mahala Rai Banda vs. Shantel) – 4:18
- Dialoguing Excerpt from Moviefilm 5 (Borat) – 0:12
- "O Kazakhstan" (performed by Erran Baron Cohen) – 1:54
Enhanced CD content
- "Cheese" (Deleted scene)
- "Humor Coach" (Entire scene from film)
- "Oh Kazakhstan" (Sing along clip with lyrics)
Usage of music in the film
The album does not contain all songs used in the film. When Borat comes to New York, we briefly hear Harry Nilsson singing "Everybody's Talkin'"; when Borat sees Pamela on TV for the first time, we hear Berlin's "Take My Breath Away"; on the road we hear Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild"; when Borat says goodbye to Luenell we hear Bijelo Dugme's "Uspavanka za Radmilu M."; in a RV there is an excerpt of "U Can't Touch This". And some tracks on the official album are not used in the film, including the heavily altered version of "Born to Be Wild" by the Romanian brass band Fanfare Ciocărlia, and Borat's "You Be My Wife" and "In My Country There Is a Problem".
- Allmusic review
- IMdb FAQ
- "Borat anthem played by mistake at medals ceremony". Eurosport Yahoo! UK. Mar 24, 2012.
- "Borat anthem stuns Kazakh gold medallist in Kuwait". BBC. 23 March 2012.
- Barry Neild (23 March 2012). "Borat's version of Kazakh anthem played at Kuwait medal ceremony". The Guardian.