Jovetić before a friendly match against Iran, 26 May 2014
|Full name||Stevan Jovetić|
|Date of birth||2 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Titograd, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 25 August 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Stevan Jovetić (Cyrillic: Cтeвaн Joвeтић, IPA: [stɛ̂ʋaːn jɔ̂ʋɛtitɕ]; born 2 November 1989) is a Montenegrin professional footballer who plays for English club Manchester City and the Montenegro national team. His primary position is a second striker, although he can also operate as an attacking midfielder or a winger. Jovetić is known for his dribbling, technical ability, and creativity. His playing style has led to comparisons with Roberto Baggio.
Jovetić is a Montenegrin international, having previously represented his team at under-21 level. He made his senior international debut in 2007, in Montenegro's first international football match as an independent country.
He scored three goals during a UEFA Cup qualifying game against Zrinjski on 2 August 2007, in a 5–0 victory for Partizan, recording his first career hat-trick at only 17 years old. In October 2007, he was linked to several high profile clubs such as Manchester United and Real Madrid. He became Partizan's club captain aged 17 years, 10 months and 21 days in January 2008, after former captain Antonio Rukavina was sold to German Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund. This made him Partizan's youngest captain ever, surpassing Albert Nađ, who became captain at age 19. Jovetić held the record until 31 October 2012 when he was surpassed by Nikola Ninković.
On 10 May 2008, Serie A club Fiorentina signed him for a reported fee of £8 million. He scored his first goal for La Viola in the league match against Atalanta from the penalty spot on 5 April 2009.
He started the 2009–10 season with a goal against Sporting Clube de Portugal in a 1–1 return leg draw at Stadio Artemio Franchi, which gave Fiorentina their entrance into the Champions League group stages. Other decisive goals included goals against Palermo, Sampdoria, and Livorno. On 29 September 2009, he scored both goals in a 2–0 victory over Liverpool in the Champions League group stage. On 9 March 2010, Jovetić scored two goals in Fiorentina's 3–2 win over Bayern Munich. The club lost, however, on away goals, and he also scored again against Napoli on 13 March. He scored in a 4–1 win against Udinese on 28 March.
During pre-season training for the 2010–11 season, he suffered an injury to his cruciate ligament in his right knee which eventually saw him out for the whole season.
Jovetić returned from injury in fine form in the 2011–12 season, scoring a double in a 3–0 win with Parma, his first goals in over a year. On 15 October 2011, Jovetić signed a contract that would keep him in Florence through 2016. Following the winter break in the Serie A, Jovetić netted twice as Fiorentina eased to a comfortable 3–0 victory over Novara on 8 January 2012. A month later, on 5 February, Jovetić earned his side a 3–2 defeat of Udinese by converting two penalties; the win gave Fiorentina back-to-back victories in the Serie A for the first time all season. He failed to find the back of the net after this game for over two months before netting his side's opener and then providing the winning goal for Amauri as Fiorentina shocked title contenders Milan 2–1 on 7 April. Jovetić netted 14 times in 27 league games for Fiorentina, as the Tuscan side limped to 13th place in Serie A.
On 19 July 2013, he signed for Premier League club Manchester City in a deal worth £22 million. Upon signing for the club, Jovetić chose to wear number 35 on his shirt, which he also wore while playing for Partizan. He joined former Fiorentina team-mate and close friend, Matija Nastasić at the club. He made his debut for Manchester City on 14 September, in a 0–0 draw away to Stoke City. He scored his first goals for the club on 24 September, in a 5–0 win against Wigan Athletic in the League Cup.
On 29 January 2014, Jovetić scored his first Premier League goal in a 5–1 win against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane. On 15 February, he scored his first FA Cup goal in a 2–0 victory over Chelsea in the fifth round. On 5 April, he scored his second goal in the Premier League in a 4–1 win over Southampton. On 7 May 2014, he scored his first league goal at the City of Manchester Stadium in Manchester City's 4–0 win over Aston Villa.
Jovetić was a founding member of the Montenegro national team who played their first game against Hungary in March 2007, and was also a regular for the Montenegro U-21 team. Jovetić scored his first international goal against the same team, netting twice in a 3–3 draw with Hungary on 20 August 2008 at the Puskás Ferenc Stadion in Budapest.
Fiorentina supporters gave Jovetić the nickname "Jo-Jo." His nickname in Montenegro as well as in the neighbouring countries is "Joveta". His idols are Juventus forward and fellow Montenegrin international Mirko Vučinić, from whom he took the Montenegro U-21 captain's armband at the age of 17; and Andriy Shevchenko, who Jovetić emulated as a child.
- As of 25 August 2014
|Montenegro national team|
- Scores and results list. Montenegro's goal tally first.
|Stevan Jovetić – Goals for Montenegro|
|1.||20 August 2008||Stadium Puskás Ferenc, Budapest||Hungary||
|2.||20 August 2008||Stadium Puskás Ferenc, Budapest||Hungary||
|3.||6 September 2008||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Bulgaria||
||2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier|
|4.||19 November 2008||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Macedonia||
|5.||12 August 2009||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Wales||
|6.||5 September 2009||Vasil Levski National Stadium, Sofia||Bulgaria||
||2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier|
|7.||2 September 2011||Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff||Wales||
||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier|
|8.||29 February 2012||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Iceland||
|9.||29 February 2012||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Iceland||
|10.||15 August 2012||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Latvia||
|11.||15 October 2013||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Moldova||
||2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier|
|12.||15 October 2013||Podgorica City Stadium, Podgorica||Moldova||
||2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier|
- Manchester City
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- [dead link]
- 10 things you need to know about Fiorentina hotshot Stevan Jovetic. Mirrorfootball.co.uk (2 November 1989). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Belgrade faces the naked truth. Uefa.com. Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Partizan deklasirao Zrinjski 5:0 (in Serbian). B92.net. Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Man Utd are in Stevan heaven, ''The Sun'', 13 October 2007. Thesun.co.uk (13 October 2007). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Fergie fights Real for Jovetic, ''The Sun'', 16 October 2007. Thesun.co.uk (16 October 2007). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Partizan deny Jovetic deal. Skysports.com (18 February 2008). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Ninković nasledio Jovetića i postao najmlađi kapiten u istoriji Partizana. Blic.rs (31 October 2012). Retrieved on 13 September 2013.
- Fiorentina Announce Jovetic Signing
- Stevan Jovetic Happy With First Fiorentina Goal. Goal.com (7 April 2009). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Fiorentina 1–1 Sporting Lisbon – Viola squeak through. Soccernet.espn.go.com (26 August 2009). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- Sanghera, Mandeep. (29 September 2009) Fiorentina 2–0 Liverpool. BBC News. Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- "Jovetic out with knee ligament damage". Goal.com. 4 August 2010.
- "Gamecast: Fiorentina v Parma - Italian Serie A - ESPN FC". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Arsenal-linked Stevan Jovetic signs new Fiorentina contract". Goal.com. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Serie A14:00 +00:00, January 8, 2012Silvio Piola (2012-01-08). "Gamecast: Novara v Fiorentina - Italian Serie A - ESPN FC". Soccernet.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Serie A14:00 +00:00, February 5, 2012Artemio Franchi, Italy (2012-02-05). "Gamecast: Fiorentina v Udinese - Italian Serie A - ESPN FC". Soccernet.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Serie A13:00 +00:00, April 7, 2012Giuseppe Meazza (2012-04-07). "Gamecast: AC Milan v Fiorentina - Italian Serie A - ESPN FC". Soccernet.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Football, Mirror (2012-06-18). "Chelsea transfer news: No bid yet for £20m Stevan Jovetic - Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Fiorentina 4–1 Internazionale". ESPNFC. 17 February 2013.
- "Manchester City: Stevan Jovetic completes move from Fiorentina" BBC Sport. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Stevan Jovetic joins City". Manchester City. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Stoke 0–0 Manchester City" BBC Sport. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Manchester City 5–0 Wigan" BBC Sport. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Winter, Henry (25 August 2014). "Manchester City 3 Liverpool 1: Stevan Jovetic and Sergio Aguero on target as Premier League champions secure win". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Corvino In Love With Jovetic
- Viola land Jovetic coup. Skysports.com (31 May 2008). Retrieved on 8 January 2012.
- JOVETIC, Chiamatemi Jo-Jo ma non sono Baggio Firenzeviola.it
- Joveta, dođi, budi Del Piero Firenzeviola.it
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stevan Jovetić.|
- Official website
- Stevan Jovetić career stats at Soccerbase
- Stevan Jovetić profile on violachannel.tv
- Stevan Jovetić at National-Football-Teams.com