Steve Adams (footballer)
|Full name||Stephen Marc Adams|
|Date of birth||25 September 1980|
|Place of birth||Plymouth, England|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Current club||Truro City|
|2009||→ Forest Green Rovers (loan)||7||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Truro City (loan)||–||(–)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Adams began his career as a trainee with Plymouth Argyle, his hometown team, turning professional in August 1998. His first team debut came on 8 December 1998 when he was a second half substitute (for Mike Heathcote) as Plymouth lost 2–0 away to Brentford in the first round of the Football League Trophy. He had to wait until 6 May 2000 for his league debut, playing in the 2–2 draw away to Mansfield Town. He was an ever-present member of the Argyle side that won the Third Division Championship in 2001–2002 and was rewarded with a new two-year contract at the end of the season.
He went on to make 176 appearances, scoring 7 goals for Argyle before moving to Sheffield Wednesday, managed by former Plymouth manager Paul Sturrock, in March 2005 for an undisclosed fee. He signed a deal that would keep him at Hillsborough till 2007. His 2005–2006 season was hampered by an Achilles injury problem and Adams managed to make only eight appearances. Despite his injuries, former manager Sturrock rated him as one of his very best players. He was released by Sturrock's successor, Brian Laws, in May 2007. Adams had made 21 appearances in all competitions for Sheffield Wednesday.
Adams joined up with Sturrock again, signing for Swindon Town in August 2007 after a successful trial. In January 2008, Adams was offered a new short-term contract with Swindon until the end of the season but turned it down when Torquay United offered him a better contract. He had made six appearances in all competitions for Swindon.
Adams joined Conference National side Torquay United along with fellow Swindon Town midfielder Kaid Mohamed in January 2008. He made his debut on 28 January 2008 in the 1–0 win at home to Histon and made 15 starts in all competitions, as Torquay made both the play-off semi-final and the FA Trophy final.
Since then, he failed to cement a starting place at Plainmoor and made just two starts in all competitions the following season.
He was released by Torquay on 15 May 2010 along with six other players.
- "Plymouth sign duo". BBC Sport. 7 March 2002. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- "Plymouth clinch title". BBC Sport. 15 April 2002. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "Plymouth up as champions". BBC Sport. 24 April 2004. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "Wednesday raid Argyle for Adams". BBC Sport. 9 March 2005. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "Owls offer new deals to quartet". BBC Sport. 10 May 2007. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "Swindon tie up Adams and Arrieta". BBC Sport. 6 August 2007. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "Torquay complete triple signing". BBC Sport. 27 January 2008. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "Forest Green snap up Torquay duo". BBC Sport. 18 August 2009.
- "Truro delight as Gulls' duo stay". Western Morning News. 16 January 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- "Seven players released by Torquay United". BBC Sport. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2010.