|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2012)|
||This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (August 2012)|
Steve Andreas is the son of Barry Stevens, a writer and well-known gestalt therapist. He founded Real People Press, a publisher of works on psychology and personal change in 1967, in order to publish a book by Carl Rogers and Barry Stevens entitled Person to Person.
Andreas worked as a chemist until 1958, then went to graduate school at Brandeis University under Abraham Maslow for two years, receiving an MA degree in psychology. After working as a chemist again for a year, he got a junior college teaching credential, and taught psychology and social science at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill CA for 7 years. He was introduced to Gestalt therapy in 1967, and edited Fritz Perls' books, Gestalt Therapy Verbatim and In and Out the Garbage Pail, and wrote Awareness, a book of exercises based on Gestalt Therapy in 1971. He became interested in Neuro-linguistic programming in 1977 and has been active in the field ever since.[self-published source?]
In 1979 Steve Andreas and Connirae Andreas established NLP of Colorado, now known as NLP Comprehensive, to develop the training arm of their business. They transferred ownership of NLP Comprehensive to Tom Dotz in 1998.[self-published source?]
Steve Andreas' most recent book, Transforming Negative Self-Talk: Practical, Effective Exercises, was published by Norton in 2012.
Books and publications
- Frogs Into Princes (Bandler & Grinder, 1979)
- Trance-Formations (Grinder & Bandler, 1981)
- Reframing (Bandler and Grinder, 1982)
- Using Your Brain for a Change (Bandler, 1985)
- Titles authored by Steve and Connirae Andreas include
- Change Your Mind and Keep the Change (1987)
- Heart of the Mind (1989)
- Core Transformation (Connirae & Tamara Andreas, 1994).
- Steve Andreas's more recent works include
- Virginia Satir: The Patterns of Her Magic (1991)
- NLP: The New Technology of Achievement (Charles Faulkner, Tim Hallbom, Suzi Smith, Robert McDonald) (1994)
- Transforming Your Self (2002)
- Six Blind Elephants, Volumes I & II (2006)
- Stevens, B. (1970): Don't Push the River, Lafayette, Cal. (Real People Press), p 74.
- Andreas, Steve. Resume [self-published source?]
- McClendon, Terrence. The Wild Days: NLP 1972-1981. Meta Publications. pp. 100–115. ISBN 0-916990-23-0.
- Andreas, Steve. Looking Backward (at a few of the bends and dips in the road), 2000. [self-published source?]
- Andreas, Steve. Transforming Negative Self-Talk: Practical, Effective Exercises. Norton. ISBN 978-0393707892.