||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
26 December 1950 |
Lake Munmorah, New South Wales, Australia
Life and career
Bisley was born at Lake Munmorah, New South Wales. Bisley's major television roles have included A Town Like Alice as well as the Australian police dramas Water Rats, Police Rescue, and Halifax f.p.. He had a role in the Australian television medical drama series The Flying Doctors. He also had a regular appearance in the third and final season of the critically acclaimed Australian satirical television series Frontline. He Played Joe Byrne in 'The Last Outlaw' TV mini sereis. Bisley also played Dr Henry King in the ABC-TV series G. P..
In his youth and continuing to present day he has been close friends with actor Mel Gibson, with whom he attended NIDA and starred in the movies Summer City and Mad Max. The latter role is his best-known performance, in which he played "Jim Goose", the best friend and partner to Gibson's character. The Mad Max trilogy has since became a cult classic, and was the film that launched Gibson to mainstream stardom.
Bisley is also a well-known stage actor, appearing in Drama productions. His stage roles include that of Banjo Paterson in the musical theatre production of The Man from Snowy River: Arena Spectacular – from August 2002 through to October 2002.
Steve Bisley appeared in the first three seasons of the Australian TV drama Sea Patrol as Commander Steve Marshall.
- Winner AFI award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the 1984 film Silver City.
- Winner AFI award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the 1990 film The Big Steal.
- Member of the Australian Film Walk of Fame in recognition of his film and television career.
- "Australian Film Festival Walk of Fame". Chic Traveller. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "The Dictionary of Performing Arts in Australia – Theatre . Film . Radio . Television – Volume 1" – Ann Atkinson, Linsay Knight, Margaret McPhee – Allen & Unwin Pty. Ltd., 1996
- "The Australian Film and Television Companion" – compiled by Tony Harrison – Simon & Schuster Australia, 1994
- Steve Bisley at the Internet Movie Database
- Steve Bisley's Water Rats profile – Australian Television Information Archive