Steve Brooks (statistician)
|Fields||Computational and Applied Statistics|
|Institutions||University of Bristol
University of Surrey
University of Cambridge
|Alma mater||University of Bristol
University of Kent
University of Cambridge
|Doctoral advisor||Gareth Roberts|
|Doctoral students||Yanan Fan
Luciana Dalla Valle
|Notable awards||Guy Medal (Bronze, 2005)
Philip Leverhulme Prize
RSS Research Prize
Stephen Peter "Steve" Brooks is Executive Director of Select Statistical Services Ltd, a statistical research consultancy company based in Exeter, and former professor of statistics at the Statistical Laboratory of the University of Cambridge.
He received a degree in mathematics from Bristol University in 1991, and a Master's degree in statistics from the University of Kent. He received his PhD at Cambridge; his supervisor was Gareth Roberts. Post-graduation he then returned to Bristol as a lecturer in the Statistics Group and then Senior Lecturer at the University of Surrey. In 2000 Brooks returned to Cambridge first as a fellow of Kings College, Cambridge. and then of Wolfson College.
He is a specialist in Markov chain Monte Carlo and applied statistical methods.
He left Cambridge in 2006 to become Director of Research for ATASS Sports and is now executive director of Select Statistical Services Ltd a statistical consultancy firm based in Exeter and the Director of the Exeter Initiative for Statistics and its Applications
- 1989–1991 Undergraduate, University of Bristol
- 1991–1992 Graduate Student, University of Kent
- 1992–1993 Research Associate, University of Kent
- 1993–1996 Research Student, University of Cambridge
- 1996–1999 Lecturer, University of Bristol
- 1999–2000 Senior Lecturer, University of Surrey
- 2000–2002 Lecturer, University of Cambridge
- 2002–2005 Reader, University of Cambridge
- 2005–2008 Professor, University of Cambridge
- 2006–2011 Director of Research ATASS
- 2011-Executive Director Select Statistical Services Ltd
Degrees and Qualifications
- 1991 BSc Mathematics, Bristol
- 1992 MSc Statistics, Kent
- 1996 PhD, Cambridge
- 1999 Chartered Statistician
- 2011 Chartered Scientist
Honours and awards
- 2005 Royal Statistical Society's Guy medal in Bronze
- 2004 Philip Leverhulme Prize
- 1999 Royal Statistical Society's Research prize
- Handbook of Markov Chain Monte Carlo edited by Steve Brooks, Andrew Gelman, Galin Jones and Xiao-Li Meng; Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2011
- Bayesian Analysis for Population Ecology by Ruth King, Olivier Gimenez, Byron Morgan and Steve Brooks; Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2009
- Steve Brooks at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Steve Brooks, Select Executive Director". Select Statistical Services Limited. Archived from the original on 17 January 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Cambridge University Reporter: Elections and Appointments, May 2000".
- "Fellows of King's College". Cambridge University Reporter. Cambridge University. 1 October 2001. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Fellows of Wolfson College". Cambridge University Reporter. Cambridge University. 2 October 2008. Retrieved 30 April 2009.
- "NCSE Interim Review Report, 2007".
- "National Centre for Statistical Ecology Home Page".
- "ExIStA Home Page".
- "Cambridge University Reporter: Annual Report on the Establishment of Personal Professorships and Readerships 2002".
- "Cambridge University Reporter: Senior Academic Promotions 2005".
- "ATASS Ltd Home Page".
- "RSS Guy Medal in Bronze – List of Recipients".
- "Philip Leverhulme Prizes 2004".
- "Handbook of Markov Chain Monte Carlo".
- "Bayesian Analysis for Population Ecology – CRC Website".