Steve Brown (yo-yo player)
February 20, 1976|
|Occupation||Yo-yo designer and competition judge|
|Known for||Creating freehand yo-yo play|
Steve Brown (born 1976 in Jacksonville, Florida) is an award winning competitive yo-yo player, competition judge, yo-yo designer, and yoyo blogger currently based out of North Olmsted, Ohio. He is currently the editor for YoYoNews.com and a co-producer of the Triple Crown of YoYo events. In 2001, the National Yo-Yo League named him as one of eight National Yo-Yo masters. He has designed multiple yo-yos, including the "Cherry Bomb" for Team Losi. While employed by Duncan Toys Company as marketing and promotions coordinator, Brown invented and patented freehand yo-yo play where instead of being attached to the finger, the string is actually attached to a counterweight, and designed a line of yo-yos for the new style. He also authored a book called Duncan Yo-Yo Trick Book while employed by the company.
A regular competitor in the 1990s, he has moved out of competing in most venues and has shifted his focus to judging. His skill with yo-yos also landed him a job as a stuntman on the 2001 movie Zoolander, work as a consultant on "The Lone Ranger (2013 film)"  where he developed and taught several of the actors the pocket watch trick that features prominently in the film, and led to an appearance on The Best Damn Sports Show Period.
- 1996 World Yo-Yo Contest, 4th place
- 1997 World Yo-Yo Contest - Single A, 4th place
- 1997 World Yo-Yo Contest - Single A freestyle, 3rd place
- 1998 World Yo-Yo Contest - Single A freestyle, 4th place
- 1999 Bay Area Classic Invitational - Freestyle, 1st place
- 2001 Bay Area Classic Invitational - Freestyle, 1st place (while blindfolded)
- "Steve Brown biography". stevebrownismyhero.com. Steve Brown. Retrieved 2008-09-25.[dead link]
- "2001 National YoYo Contest: Welcome". nationalyoyo.org. National Yo-Yo League. Retrieved 2008-09-23.[dead link]
- Kahlenberg, Richard (1998-12-04). "A New Spin on Yo-Yos". latimes.com (Los Angeles Times). Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Company Profile". theyoyomuseum.com (The Yo-Yo Museum/SkillToys.com). Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Duncan Unveils new style of play with Freehand Yo-Yo". www.yo-yo.com. Duncan Toys Company. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- Brown, Steve (1999). Duncan Yo-Yo Trick Book. Duncan Toys Company. ASIN B000R4EHL2.
- Rankin, Sinclair (2001-05-01). "The Kings of String". The Village Voice (Village Voice Media Holdings, LLC). Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Zoolander (2001)". nytimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "The Lone Ranger (2013)". imdb.com. IMDb.com. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- ""The Best Damn Sports Show Period" Best Damn Yo-Yo Championship (2008)". IMDb.com. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "String of Hope" (PDF). Satellite Magazine (Albany Student's Association Inc.). 2004. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- Steve Brown is my hero, his official website
- Steve Brown at the Internet Movie Database
- Steve Brown's MySpace page
|This article about an American entertainer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This toy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|