|35th Mayor of Hoboken|
July 1973 – June 1985
|Preceded by||Louis DePascale|
|Succeeded by||Thomas Vezzetti|
May 20, 1923|
|Died||April 17, 2014
Hoboken, New Jersey
|Political party||Democrat during his political life. Sided with Republicans more frequently in his golden years.|
|Children||Steven Cappiello, Dr. Linda Cappiello, Janet Manocchio|
|Residence||Hoboken, New Jersey|
Steve Cappiello (May 20, 1923 - April 17, 2013) was a retired police officer and American Democratic Party politician who served as the 35th mayor of Hoboken, New Jersey from 1973 until 1985. Cappiello served as a city councilman from 1963 until his election as mayor, and again after completing his three terms. He also served on the Hudson County Board of Chosen Freeholders from 1981 to 1984, when he lost his re-election bid to Republican Roger Dorian.
Capiello was elected in May 1973 defeating incumbent mayor DePascale and avoiding a runoff by 84 votes.
Cappiello was widely credited with laying the groundwork for the extensive development along the Hoboken waterfront, and was credited with helping to turn Hoboken around. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1873&dat=19770721&id=9mYpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G8oEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2312,1858119
At the age of 84, Cappiello was arrested for driving under the influence on December 5, 2007 after hitting an unmarked car belonging to the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. The incident was not a result of intoxication. The charges were dismissed.
On February 17, 2009 Cappiello announced his intention to run for mayor again. He never filed and later endorsed Peter Cammarano. After Cammarano's resignation, Cappiello endorsed Frank Raia in the special election to complete the unfinished term.
- Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal (2013-04-22). "Former 3-term Hoboken Mayor Steve Cappiello, 89, laid to rest: photos". NJ.com. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Democrats Win Two Races for Mayor in New Jersey". The Toledo Blade. May 8, 1973. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Mayor Cappiello arrested on DWI charge". nj.com. New Jersey On-Line. December 7, 2007. Retrieved January 2, 2010.
- Klein, Daniel (February 17, 2009). "Former Hoboken mayor Steve Cappiello announces he will run again". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved January 2, 2010.
- Baldwn, Carly (May 27, 2009). "Former Hoboken mayor Steve Cappiello endorses Peter Cammarano". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved January 2, 2010.
- Clark, Amy Sara (October 16, 2009). "Former Hoboken Mayor Steve Cappiello endorses Frank Raia for mayor". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved January 2, 2010.