Steve Chen during the "YouTube Traditional Chinese Version Launch Press Conference"
|Born||Steven Shih Chen
August 18, 1978
|Residence||Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Occupation||Co-Founder of AVOS Systems|
|Known for||Co-Founder of YouTube|
|Net worth||$300 million|
|Spouse(s)||Park Ji-hyun (Jamie Chen)|
|Children||Joseph Chen (Son) (Born 2010) Clara Chen (Daughter)|
Steven Shih "Steve" Chen (traditional Chinese: 陳士駿; simplified Chinese: 陈士骏; pinyin: Chén Shìjùn; born August 18, 1978) is a Taiwanese internet entrepreneur. He is best known as the co-founder and previous Chief Technology Officer of the popular website YouTube. He currently owns and runs the company called MixBit.
Early years and education
Chen was born in Taipei, Taiwan. When he was fifteen years old, he and his family immigrated to the United States. He went to River Trails Middle School in Mount Prospect for his middle school education and John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights for his freshman year of high school. For his final three years of high school, he attended the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy in Aurora, Illinois. At the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, he studied computer science. He graduated in 2002.
In 2005, Chad Hurley, Jawed Karim and Chen founded YouTube, with Chen having the position of Chief Technology Officer. In June 2006, Chen was named by Business 2.0 as one of "The 50 people who matter now" in business.
On October 16, 2006, Chen and Hurley sold YouTube to Google, Inc. for $1.65 billion. Chen received 625,366 shares of Google and an additional 68,721 in a trust as part of the sale. The Google shares that he received were reported to be worth over $326 million about 1 year later.
Chen married Park Ji-hyun (now Jamie Chen), a Google Korea product marketing manager, in 2009. They moved to Tunbridge Wells in 2010 and have one son who was born in July 2010 named Joseph Chen and one daughter named Clara Chen. The Chens are major supporters of the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco where Jamie was appointed a trustee in July 2012.
- "Steve Chen Net Worth". www.celebritynetworth.com.
- "Steve Chen Net Worth". www.therichest.com.
- "YouTube Founders Launch New Video-Sharing App MixBit". PC Magazine.
- University of Illinois Admissions: Celebrity Alumni
- "Facebook's First 20 Employees: Where Are They Now?". Business Insider. February 1, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "The 50 people who matter now". CNN. June 21, 2006.
- New York Times: YouTube’s Payoff: Hundreds of Millions for the Founders
- "The Ultimate List Of 15 Asian Scientists To Watch – Steve Chen". AsianScientist.com. May 15, 2011. Retrieved June 6, 2011.
- The Chosun Ilbo (English edition): YouTube Founder Married Korean Woman
- Asian Art Museum: Additional support is provided by Jamie and Steve Chen.
- Asian Art Museum Appoints Seven New Trustees
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steve Chen.|
- Steve Chen's YouTube profile
- Steve Chen, the local boy that created YouTube – Taipei Times, October 8, 2006