|Other names||Champion, Brett|
|Occupation||American con man|
Career in crime
Comisar grew up in Beverly Hills, California. As a young man he sold a "solar powered clothes dryer" in national magazines for $39.95. Unsuspecting customers received a length of clothesline. Comisar has been arrested and convicted of numerous crimes.
Comisar used the working name Brett Champion during the period when he was (falsely) claiming to have retired from his career as a con man and posed as a fraud prevention expert and consultant, using it on Dateline NBC, The View, Sally, Leeza, Crook & Chase, and in various other television appearances; and when he authored the book America's Guide to Fraud Prevention (ISBN 978-1560723332), Comisar is now legally prohibited from using this alias. His book is considered a "piece of fraud history" by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and is on display in their fraud museum.
Comisar had a lead role in the documentary film Making Crime Pay. He also had supporting roles in the motion pictures Tough Luck,Fists of Iron and Sister Dearest, in the television series Hell Town and Throb, and in the television movie The Seduction of Gina.
- "Prisoner Admits Trying to Extort Money From Two Local Lawyers". Metnews.com. 2004-03-16. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Federal Bureau of Prisons". Bop.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "The Creep With the Golden Tongue" by Sabrina R Erdely, GQ, August 2003, 126-32, 155-156.
- Page 221 of Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Non-Toxic Avenger Shows You How to ... By Ellen Sandbeck
- Purported 'Former' Con Man Is Sentenced Anew and is currently in U.S. Federal prison L.A. Times December 07, 1999
- "USAO/CDCA Press Release". Justice.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Schwarzenegger Names Federal Prosecutor To Court". Main Justice. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- Independent Newspapers Online (1999-07-24). "The man who can't stop conning". Independent Online (South Africa). Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Author of Consumer Fraud Guide Arrested - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1999-11-07. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- Barry Minkow Added to the List of Repeat Offenders, from Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Scott Patterson, ACFE Media Relations Specialist
- "ACFE's Fraud Museum". Accounting Today. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Steve Comisar at the Internet Movie Database