|Team||Lake Oswego High School|
|Alma mater||Oregon State|
Ottawa Rough Riders
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Portland Breakers (WR)
University of Pittsburgh (asst)
Lake Oswego High School
|Accomplishments and honors|
1 OSAA Division 6A (2011)
The son of college and professional football coach Dick Coury, Steve Coury attended Lakeridge High School in Lake Oswego, Oregon where he played wide receiver, before moving on to Oregon State in 1976. Despite the team's overall poor performance during the years he played (the team won just 8 games in his four seasons), Coury was named an All-American in 1979.
When he left Oregon State, he held the records for career receiving yards (1,837) and career receptions (135), and remains in the team's top ten for both statistics. He is tied with Reggie Bynum for the school record for most touchdowns in a half with 3. He was inducted into the Oregon State University Sports Hall of Fame in 2003.
Following his playing days, Coury began coaching football. He coached high school football at Crespi Carmelite High School in Encino, California, coached wide receivers for the Portland Breakers of the USFL from 1983 to 1985 (where his father was head coach), and was an assistant football coach at the University of Pittsburgh for three years. In 1992, he was named head football coach at Lake Oswego High School. Since 2001, he has led the school to eleven straight Oregon state quarterfinals, including eight semifinals and finals in 2002, 2004, 2008, and 2011. In 2011, he coached the team to their first-ever state championship.
Outside of football
In addition to his head coaching duties, Coury is vice president of SporTech, the West Coast distributor for FieldTurf artificial turf playing surfaces. He and his wife Nancy have three children and live in Lake Oswego.
- "Oregon State Football All-Americans" (PDF). 2007 Oregon State Beavers Football Media Guide. OSUBeavers.com. p. 189.
- "Records Section - Receiving" (PDF). 2011 Oregon State Beavers Football Media Guide. OSUBeavers.com. p. 91.
- "Oregon State University Sports Hall of Fame". OSUBeavers.com. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- "Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers". USFL.info. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Cluff, Carl (1989-04-23). "Steve Coury back in Lake Oswego but not football". The Oregonian.
- Nolen, John (1992-08-27). "Ashland set for another run at 4A championship". The Oregonian.
- "Prep football playoff previews". The Oregonian. 2009-11-26.
- "All-time OSAA school-by-school football playoff summaries" (PDF). Oregon School Activities Association. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Ulmer, Jerry (December 10, 2011). "Class 6A football final: Lake Oswego dominates Sheldon for first title". The Oregonian. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Ulmer, Jerry (2008-04-23). "Turf has tales to tell". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Eggers, Kerry (2002-11-29). "Buddy system". Portland Tribune. Retrieved 2008-04-23.