September 12, 1965 |
|Education||Boulder High School|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado at Boulder (B.A.)
Culinary Institute of America
|Known for||Founding Chipotle Mexican Grill(with Chef Felix)|
Steve Ells (born September 12, 1965) is the founder, Co-CEO, and Chairman of Chipotle Mexican Grill. Ells founded Chipotle in 1993 and under his direction the chain serves what it describes as "naturally raised meat" and promotes sustainable agriculture.
Ells has been embroiled in controversy over his pay: In 2013, he was paid $25.1 million, more than his equivalents in larger companies such as Ford, Boeing, and AT&T. In recent years, Ells and his co-chief executive have been paid more than $300 million. Together, they were paid more than all but the highest-paid chief executive among the US's biggest 100 companies, Lawrence J. Ellison of Oracle. In May 2014, Ells was rebuked by shareholders, who rejected a plan to further his wages.
Ells was born in Indianapolis, the son of a pharmaceutical executive. He attended Boulder High School, the University of Colorado at Boulder (receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in Art History) and Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York, graduating in 1990.
Ells served for two years as a sous chef under Jeremiah Tower at Stars restaurant in San Francisco prior to launching Chipotle and now sits on the board of directors of the Land Institute. He borrowed money from family and friends to open the first Chipotle.
We decided long ago that we didn't want Chipotle's success to be tied to the exploitation of animals, farmers, or the environment, but the engagement of our customers.—Steve Ells
In 2007, Ells received the CEO of the Year Award from ColoradoBiz magazine.
In 2014 Chipotle investors voted against the size of Ells proposed pay package.
- "Steve Ells Profile". Forbes.
- "Chipotle: Fast Food with 'Integrity'". Business Week, February 16, 2007.
- "2007 CEO of the year Chipotle's Steve Ells pursues fast-casual perfection". Colorado Business Magazine, Mike Taylor.
- Investors Reject Chipotle Chiefs’ Pay Plan
- "Fine Fast Food". Time Magazine, Steve Ells. September 21, 2007. Retrieved May 24, 2010.
- "Chipotle founder had big dreams". Rocky Mountain News, Rachel Brand, Dec 23, 2006.
- "Steve Ells Profile". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Marlene Parrish, June 04, 2007.
- Mclaughlin, Katy (April 29, 2006). "The Next Big Flavor". The Wall Street Journal, April 29, 2006, Katie McLaughlin.
- "The Top 10 Best Borrowed Sums in Business History". Kabbage.
- "Eat a Burrito, Help a Family Farm.". Business Wire 8/28/2007, Denver.
- "2007 CEO of the year: Chipotle's Steve Ells pursues fast-casual perfection.". Entrepreneur.com, Mike Taylor, Dec, 2007.
- "Curtis Stone and Two Others Join Bobby Flay Restaurant Series". TVGuide.com.