August 31, 1961 |
Tarrytown, New York
Steve Giovinco is a fine art photographer who photographs landscapes and people. His focus is on fine-art photography with lyrical and psychologically charged private moments of couples and dark landscape photographs. Steve Giovinco has exhibited his art photographs with Jeff Wall, Sam Taylor-Wood, Catherine Opie, and others. He has worked with a digital camera since 1999.
Life and career
Steve Giovinco was born in Tarrytown, New York on 31 August 1961; he graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a BA in history and literature and Yale University with an MFA in photography, where he studied with Tod Papageorge, Thomas Roma, Richard Benson; Gregory Crewdson was a classmate. Steve Giovinco also received three Yaddo artist residency fellowships in 2001, 2002 and 2009.
- Myth of the Everyday, Fotogalerie Wien, Vienna, 2001. With Peter Freitag and Ursula Rogg.
- Myth of the Everyday, California Museum of Photography, Riverside, California, 2001.
- Photographs, Mednick Gallery, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, 2003.
- Home Show, Winnipeg Art Gallery, 2003. Group exhibition with Jeff Wall and Sam Taylor-Wood.
- Ambient Life, Velan Center, Turin, 2005.
- Eclipse: Recent Photographs, Jim Kempner Fine Art, New York, 2007.
- About Time: Contemporary Photographs, Jim Kempner Fine Art, New York, 2010. With five other artists.
- Edge of Darkness: Photographs by Steve Giovinco and Tim Simmons, Sheldon Art Gallery, St. Louis, 2012.
- The Kids Are Alright, John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan,Wisconsin, 2012, with Catherine Opie.
- The Kids Are Alright, Weatherspoon Art Gallery, Greensboro, North Carolina, 2013, with Catherine Opie, Ryan McGinley.
- Conti, Tiziana. Tema Celeste, Issue 110, 2005, page 120.
- Finocchi, Daniela, “Steve Giovinco,” Zoom, September–October 2005, pages 36–39.
- Leffingwell, Edward. Art in America, February, 2008, page 145.
- Zoom, July/August 2007, page 62.
- Bio page, Luminous Lint. Accessed 27 February 2011.
- Search results, Brooklyn Museum, Accessed 27 February 2011.
- Exhibition notice, Fotogalerie Wien. Accessed 27 February 2011.
- Exhibition notice, absolutearts.com. Accessed 27 February 2011.
- Table of activities (XLS file), MyUArts, University of the Arts. Accessed 27 February 2011.
- Amy Karlinsky and Anne Brydon, Home Show (Winnipeg: Winnipeg Art Gallery, 2003; ISBN 0-88915-219-5).
- Exhibition notice, exhibart.com. Accessed 27 February 2011.
- Exhibition notice, artnet.com. Accessed 28 February 2011.
- Exhibition notice Sheldon Art Gallery website.
- Exhibition notice John Michael Kohler Arts Center website.
-  Weatherspoon Art Gallery website.
- Steve Giovinco Contemporary Fine Art Photography
- Steve Giovinco's photography website
- Photographs from "On the edge of somewhere"
- Steve Giovinco on Artnet
- Additional photos
- Steve Giovinco on Artreview
- Steve Giovinco on Saatchionline
- MoMA, PS1
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|