|Gower (at centre) with Warren Snowdon, Prime Minister Julia Gillard, Gai Brodtmann and Senator Kate Lundy at an announcement of additional government funding for the AWM in 2011|
|Director of the Australian War Memorial|
March 1996 – December 2012
|Preceded by||Brendon Kelson|
|Succeeded by||Brendan Nelson|
|Born||Stephen Newman Gower
10 June 1940
Adelaide, South Australia
|Alma mater||University of Adelaide|
|Years of service||1959–1996|
|Commands||Training Command (1995–96)
8th/12th Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery (1978–80)
|Awards||Officer of the Order of Australia|
Major General Stephen Newman "Steve" Gower AO (born 10 June 1940) is a retired Australian Army officer and former director of the Australian War Memorial (AWM). During his time in the Army he saw combat as an artillery forward observer during the Vietnam War in 1966 and 1967. He is also the author of the books Guns of the Regiment (1981) and Options for an Australian Defence Technological Strategy (1982).
Gower was born on 10 June 1940 in Adelaide, South Australia, to Allan Martin and Agnes Fanny Gower. Educated at Unley High School and Prince Alfred College, he entered the Royal Military College, Duntroon, in 1959. On graduation in 1961, he received a commission as a lieutenant in the Royal Australian Artillery. Gower wed Heather Eunice on 3 July 1965; the couple have one daughter.
- Gower, Stephen (1981). Guns of the Regiment. Canberra: Australian War Memorial. ISBN 0642896887.
- Gower, Stephen (1982). Options for an Australian Defence Technological Strategy. Canberra: Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, Australian National University. ISBN 0867840595.
- "Gower, Stephen Newman". Vietnam War Nominal Roll. Australian Government. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Steve Gower Bio" (PDF). Australian Defence College. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- "Gower re-appointed as director of Memorial" (PDF). Press release. Australian War Memorial. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- McPhedran, Ian (2 February 2011). "General talks himself out of a job". Courier Mail. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Guns of the regiment / S.N. Gower ; line drawings by W.D. Thomas". Catalogue. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Options for an Australian defence technological strategy / S.N. Gower". Catalogue. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Singh, Shivani (2010). Who's Who in Australia 2014. Melbourne, Australia: Crown Content. ISBN 1-74095-172-7.