He is author of Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien. That work was the subject of a dispute regarding the right of publicity.
Following receipt of a letter from the Trust saying "At no time have our clients granted permission to use the name and personality of JRR Tolkien in the novel, nor would they in any foreseeable circumstances" and claiming that "unlawful commercial advantage" has been taken of the estate's "valuable rights", the Trust wanted destruction of all copies of Hillard's book and threatened legal action to obtain damages." 
The dispute was settled in May 2011. The solution was release with a modified reference to Tolkien on the cover and the disclaimer, "This is a work of fiction which is neither endorsed nor connected with The JRR Tolkien Estate or its publisher."
List of works
- Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien ISBN 0-615-31254-3 (2010-01-18)
- "JRR Tolkien novel Mirkwood in legal battle with author's estate Texas case will contest the right of Tolkien's literary estate to block fictional use of the Lord of the Rings author's name". The Observer. 2011-02-26. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Novelist Sues Tolkien's Estate Over Book Featuring 'Hobbit' Author". Courthouse News. 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "JRR Tolkien Estate Threatens Lawsuit Over Book Featuring Tolkien As Character". The Hollywood Reporter. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "JRR Tolkien Estate Settles Dispute Over Novel Featuring Tolkien As Character". The Hollywood Reporter. 2011-05-02. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
|This article about an American fantasy writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|