Steve Irwin (rugby league)
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2008)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Full name||Steven Irwin|
19 June 1983 |
|As of 3 February 2009|
|Source: NRL Stats and Yesterday's Hero|
Steven "Steve" Irwin (born 19 June 1983) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer.
Irwin was born Steven Irwin in Queensland, Australia on 19 June 1983.
Irwin, affectionately nicknamed "Croc" after the TV personality the Crocodile Hunter of the same name, has made a remarkable rise to first grade football in just 5 years. He spent much of his youth playing soccer before picking up Rugby League at the age of 14.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2014)|
On 18 May 2007, Irwin was with his teammate Todd Carney when Carney decided to drive in Irwin's ute, despite Carney having been disqualified from driving at the time. Police began to pursue the vehicle in a high-speed chase through the back streets of the Canberra suburb of Bruce. After turning into a dead-end street, Carney stopped the car and fled the scene on foot, leaving Irwin in the passenger seat. Irwin told police Carney was the driver. Controversially, the Raiders club sacked Irwin over the incident (who was not charged with any offenses), but retained Carney. 
- "SportingPulse Homepage for Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". SportingPulse. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Banned until 2012". Sydney Morning Herald. 2007-06-13. Retrieved 2007-06-13.[dead link]
- "Carney pleads guilty". Sydney Morning Herald. 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2007-06-14.[dead link]
- "NRL star given community service". The Daily Telegraph. 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2007-06-14.[dead link]
- Massoud, Josh (2007-05-31). "Carney spared, Irwin sacked". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-06-14.
- Badel, Peter (2007-06-24). "Irwin lashes Raiders". The Sunday.
|This rugby league football biography relating to an Australian born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|