||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
His career began as a trainee tape-op at CBS studios in 1975, soon progressed to in house engineer, working with many now classic new wave and punk acts including The Clash, The Jags, The Vibrators, XTC as well as many of CBS Records' pop acts, including Sailor.
It was at CBS that Levine met Beach Boy Bruce Johnston, who would play an important role in the consolidation of his production career, culminating with Levine producing a significant CBS album for The Beach Boys in the mid 1980s.
From the early 1980s, with the worldwide success of Culture Club, Levine's reputation grew and, apart from The Beach Boys, he produced well-reviewed work for The Honeyz, John Howard, China Crisis, Motörhead, Ziggy Marley, Westworld and Gary Moore.
In 2013, Levine is chairman of the Music Producer's Guild.
Steve Levine created and co-presents the BBC Radio 2 & BBC Radio 6 Music Music program The Record Producers with regular Radio 2 host Richard Allinson. This award-winning series of documentaries analyses, from the record producer's perspective, how iconic recordings are created. Episodes so far include analysis of The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Pink Floyd and The Bee Gees.
Levine has collected a number of prestigious awards including a Brit Award for Producer of the Year, Musicweek Top Singles Producer and a Grammy for his work with Deneice Williams. In 2011 he received a Sony Radio Award. Steve Levine is also a LIPA companion and holds an Honorary Doctorate at Bucks University. He is the author of the highly successful Hit Kit and the Art of Downloading Music.
A regular guest speaker at various Pro Audio seminars for companies such as Yamaha, Korg, Apple Computers and Harman Automotive, Steve Levine also presents production master-classes at the Apple Store in London.
Steve Levine and his wife, radio producer and talent manager Karen, have two daughters. They live in London.
- 6 Day Riot: Folie a Deux
- 60s Authentic Soul
- 911: There it is
- Alsou: Solo
- America: Hourglass
- America: Encore Greatest Hits
- Andy Stocks: Picking Up The Penny
- Beckley Lamm Wilson: Like a brother
- Beehive: Presence of your Love
- Believin' It All: Single
- Benny Lord 7" single: Faithful to the fiancée
- Boyband: A New Musical
- Britpack: Set me free
- Celena Cherry: Celena Cherry
- China Crisis: Difficult Shapes And Passive
- Culture Club: The Best Of
- Culture Club: Colour by Numbers
- Culture Club: Don't Mind if I Do
- Culture Club: Greatest Moments
- Culture Club: Waking up with the House on Fire
- Culture Club: Kissing to be Clever
- David Grant & Jaki Graham: The very best
- Daytona Lights: This Modern Landscape
- Deniece Williams: Water under the Bridge
- Gary Moore: Ballads and Blues
- Honeyz: Wonder No. 8
- James Buller: Can't Smile Without You
- Jimmy The Hoover: Tantalise (Wo Wo Ee Yeh Yeh)
- Jo Stevens: Jo Stevens
- Junior: Acquired Taste
- Louise: Woman In Me
- Michelle Collins: Sunburn
- More Cold Feet: Official Soundtrack
- Natalie McCool: Shoot Shoot
- Natalie McCool: Black Sun
- Natalie McCool: Fortune EP's
- Owen: Our Own Little Stories
- Patch William: Patch William
- Playhaus: Loudhailer
- Polly Magoo: Fais Vite!
- QuarterFlash: Back into Blue
- Sonia: Wake Up Everybody
- The Beach Boys: The Beach Boys
- The Beauties:The Beauties
- The Creatures: Anima Animus
- The Creatures: Say
- The Homesick Hustlers: Daddy's Girls
- The Kings Singers: Spirit Voices
- The Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra: Love & Hate
- Various: What's going on (LIfe aid Armenia)
- Various feat. Culture Club ("Electric Dreams")
- Various feat. Culture Club ("The Wedding Singer")
- Voices in Motion: Excuse Me
- Westworld: Beatbox Rock 'n' Roll
- Westworld: Everything Good is Bad
- Westworld: Greatest Hits