Steve New on stage with re-united Rich Kids in 2010
|Birth name||Stephen Charles New|
|Also known as||Stella Nova|
16 May 1960|
Paddington, London, England
|Died||24 May 2010
|Genres||Punk rock, post-punk|
|Associated acts||Sex Pistols, Rich Kids, Vicious White Kids, Kim Fowley, Generation X, Pearl Harbor and the Explosions, Iggy Pop, Wasted Youth, The New, John Sinclair, Beastellabeast|
Steve New (16 May 1960 – 24 May 2010) was an English guitarist and singer, known for his work with a number of punk and new wave bands in the late 1970s and early 1980s, including Rich Kids with the former Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock. Born Stephen Charles New, in the 2000s he changed his name to Stella Nova and formed Beastellabeast, his last music group.
Born in London, he attended Quintin Kynaston School in St. John's Wood, London, and started playing with the London Jazz Orchestra at the age of 14. He came to attention with his connections with the city's punk scene at the age of 15 after being asked to audition for Sex Pistols as a second guitarist alongside Steve Jones  When Pistols' bass player Glen Matlock was ousted from the band, he invited New to join his new group Rich Kids alongside Rusty Egan and former Slik singer Midge Ure. He later played with Sid Vicious, Public Image Ltd, Iggy Pop, Chrissie Hynde, Kim Fowley, and a solo Glen Matlock whose last solo album, Born Running was dedicated to New, and featured his last recorded work.
A longtime transvestite, in his later years he came out, and preferred to be known as Stella Nova. He was the composer/musician/producer in Beastellabeast, along with lyricist/vocalist Beatrice Brown.
Nova died on 24 May 2010, aged 50, leaving his children, Diva Atlanta New and Frank James Lightning Hopkins-New.
- "Search birth records 1837-2006 | Fully indexed birth records". Findmypast.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Perrone, Pierre (2010-06-15). "Steve New: Troubled guitarist with Rich Kids, Glen Matlock's post-Sex Pistols band - Obituaries - News". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Adelle Stripe. "Stella Nova | Music". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "PiL People Bios | Miscellaneous". Fodderstompf. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "The Rich Kids History part 1 - Early UK Punk Rock band". Punk77.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Review of: Glen Matlock : Born Running". Pennyblackmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- [dead link]
- "beastellabeast - MUDKISS FANZINE". Mudkiss.com. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "God Save The Sex Pistols - Rich Kids. Hung On You: For One Night Only". Philjens.plus.com. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Midge Ure and Glen Matlock resurrect the Rich Kids for one-off gig | News". Nme.Com. 2009-12-02. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "2010 ➤ Rich Kid Steve New (aka Stella Nova) dies at 50". Shapersofthe80s.com. 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (June 2013)|