He taught as an Adjunct Professor in the graduate schools of business at Florida Atlantic University and at Lynn University. from 2010-2011. He was Chairman and CEO of Office Depot from 2005 - 2010, and was Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of AutoZone from 2001 until 2005.; He was President & CEO of Tops Markets, Inc. from 1998 to 2000, served as President of the Foodservice Division of Sara Lee Bakery from 1997 to 1998, and worked for The Quaker Oats Company from 1981 to 1996 in various executive positions.
He is a Director of General Mills. He also has been a member of the Business Roundtable; a commissioner on the National Surface Transportation Policy and Revenue Study Commission; a member of the Committee on Capital Markets Regulation; a U.S. Presidential Appointee, President's Council on Service and Civic Participation; a member of the Advisory Council, Institute for Corporate Ethics; a member of the Advisory Council, University of Notre Dame Mendoza College of Business; and a member of the Florida Council of 100.
- "CED Press Release: Steve Odland Announced as CEO".
- "Office Depot Names Steve Odland as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer". Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "Steve Odland". Businessweek. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- Florida Atlantic University faculty webpage
- "8K Filing". Yahoo Finance. 2010-10-25. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Office Depot CEO Steve Odland resigning". USA Today. 2010-10-25. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "General Mills Corporate Governance". Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "National Surface Transportation Policy and Revenue Study Commissioners". Archived from the original on 2008-01-18. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "The Business of the Civil Society Sector: Taking Care of Community", The Business of the Civil Society Sector: Taking Care of Community (PDF), retrieved 2009-11-19
- "Advisory Council - Business Roundtable Institute for Corporate Ethics". Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "Business Advisory Council". Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- Forbes blog