|Steven R. Schuh|
|Anne Arundel County Executive|
December 2, 2014
|Preceded by||Laura Neuman|
|Member of the Maryland House of Delegates from District 31|
January 10, 2007 – December 1, 2014
|Preceded by||John R. Leopold
July 25, 1960 |
Steven R. Schuh (born July 25, 1960 in Baltimore) is the County Executive of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, and a former member of the Maryland House of Delegates, serving two terms in the Maryland General Assembly representing District 31 (Pasadena, Glen Burnie, Brooklyn Park, Severna Park and Millersville). Schuh was elected County Executive in 2014 after defeating incumbent Laura Neuman in the Republican primary and defeating former three-term Sheriff George Johnson in the General Election. He is the 9th Anne Arundel County Executive.
Schuh is a graduate of Severn School and grew up in Crofton, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Political Science from Dartmouth College. Schuh holds two Master's degrees – a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Science in Education from Harvard University and Johns Hopkins University, respectively. He is also a graduate of Leadership Anne Arundel’s Flagship Program.
Schuh has been in business for nearly thirty years. He is President of Schuh Advisory, a private equity firm that specializes in starting new businesses. Previously, he was a Managing Director of Baltimore-based Alex. Brown & Sons, an investment banking and brokerage firm (and its successor entities), and a Managing Director of Credit Suisse, an international financial-services firm. Schuh was a senior partner in the corporate finance practices of both firms and is a nationally recognized expert in healthcare finance.
Schuh serves as Board Treasurer of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, a member of the Executive Committee of the United Way of Central Maryland and a member of the board of the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He served previously as Board Chairman of the American Red Cross of Central Maryland, a member of the Board of Severn School, Chairman of the Tocqueville Society of the United Way of Central Maryland, Board Chairman of Chesapeake Academy, a member of the Board of Directors of Chesapeake Arts Center and President of Eagle Cove School.
- Schuh was a member of the House Economic Matters Committee and the House Appropriations Committee (2007-2011) and serves as Chairman of the Anne Arundel County Delegation to the House of Delegates (2013-2014).
Taxes and Fees
- Co-sponsored legislation lowering the cap on property tax assessments.
- Co-sponsored “Taxpayer Bill of Rights” requiring that tax increases be subject to voter approval.
- Sponsored legislation increasing the number of votes required to raise taxes to a three-fifths majority.
- Voted against increases in the sales tax, cigarette tax, gas tax, hospital tax and Bay Restoration Fund fee.
- Co-sponsored legislation requiring non-partisan redistricting of legislative districts.
- Sponsored legislation requiring term limits for elected officials.
- Sponsored legislation creating an elected school board in Anne Arundel County.
- Sponsored “Jessica’s Law 2010,” tripling jail time for child sex offenders.
- Voted against granting “good behavior” credits to sex offenders and parolees.
- Co-sponsored legislation requiring that slots revenues be used to hire additional school resource officers.
- Co-sponsored legislation creating a revolving loan fund for charter school construction projects.
- Co-sponsored law expanding notification procedures for school officials when juveniles commit crimes.
- Voted to reduce emissions from coal-fired power plants.
- Co-sponsored legislation temporarily exempting businesses relocating to Maryland from paying property taxes.
- Co-Sponsored legislation establishing tax-free back-to-school shopping.
- Voted to require counties to repair failing storm pipes and restore eroded creeks.
- 2014 General Election for County Executive
Candidate Votes Party Percentage Schuh, Steve 107,952 Republican 61.10% Johnson, George IV 68,379 Democrat 38.70% Write-In 340 .19% Total 176,671 100%
- 2014 Primary Election for County Executive
Candidate Votes Party Percentage Schuh, Steve 17,563 Republican 54.31% Neuman, Laura 14,776 Republican 45.69% Total 32,339 100%
- 2006 Race for Maryland House of Delegates – 31st District
- Voters to choose three:
Name Votes Percent Outcome Steve Schuh, Rep. 19,049 18.4% Won Nic Kipke, Rep. 18,150 17.5% Won Donald H. Dwyer, Jr., Rep. 17,558 17.0% Won Joan Cadden, Dem. 17,533 16.9% Lost Thomas J. Fleckenstein, Dem. 16,654 16.1% Lost Craig A. Reynolds, Dem. 14,454 14.0% Lost Other Write-Ins 58 0.1%
References and notes
- "Election Summary Report" (PDF). Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Annapolis, Maryland: Board of Elections. November 14, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "Election Summary Report" (PDF). Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Annapolis, Maryland: Board of Elections. July 7, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "House of Delegates Results". Maryland State Board of Elections. Retrieved August 12, 2007.
- "Steven R. Schuh, County Executive, Anne Arundel County, Maryland". Maryland Manual On-Line: A Guide to Maryland Government. Maryland State Archives. February 18, 2015.
- Official website
|Anne Arundel County Executive