|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives
from the 46B district
January 4, 2005
|Preceded by||Jim Rhodes|
December 12, 1969 |
|Political party||Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party|
|Residence||St. Louis Park, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||Tufts University
University of Minnesota Law School
Steve Simon (born December 12, 1969) is a Minnesota politician and member of the Minnesota House of Representatives. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), he represents District 46B, which includes portions of the cities of Hopkins and St. Louis Park in Hennepin County in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. He is a candidate in the 2014 Minnesota Secretary of State election.
Early life, education, and career
Simon graduated from Hopkins High School in Hopkins, then went on to Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, receiving his B.A. in Political Science in 1992. He earned his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1996. He worked as an assistant attorney general for Minnesota attorneys general Hubert H. Humphrey III and Mike Hatch from 1996–2001, and has been an associate with the law firm of Robins, Kaplan, Miller, and Ciresi since 2001.
Minnesota House of Representatives
Simon was first elected in 2004, and was re-elected in 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012.
On Monday, May 2, 2011, Simon testified regarding and opposed a proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in Minnesota. His comments drew national attention: "How many more gay people does God have to create before we ask ourselves whether or not God actually wants them around?"
2014 Minnesota Secretary of State campaign
On August 6, 2013, Simon announced his candidacy in the 2014 Minnesota Secretary of State election.
Active in his local community, Simon is a member of the TwinWest Chamber of Commerce, the American Cancer Society, the local League of Women Voters, the St. Louis Park Community Education Advisory Council, and the Lenox Foundation, which raises funds for the St. Louis Park Senior Program. He is a member of Temple Israel, serves on the board of the Minnesota Chapter of the Jewish Community Relations Council, and is an attorney.
- "Simon, Steve". Legislators Past & Present. Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "Representative Steve Simon's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Goodwin, Liz (May 4, 2011). "Minnesota lawmaker’s gay marriage defense goes viral". Yahoo! News. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Scheck, Tom (August 6, 2013). "Democrat Simon says he’s running for secretary of state". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "About Steve Simon". Citizens for Simon. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Steve Simon at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Rep. Steve Simon official Minnesota House of Representatives website
- Steve Simon official Minnesota House of Representatives campaign website
- Steve Simon for Secretary of State official Minnesota Secretary of State campaign website
- Project Votesmart - Rep. Steve Simon Profile
- Minnesota Public Radio Votetracker: Rep. Steve Simon