Steven-Elliot Altman is a bestselling American author, graphic novelist, video game writer-director, producer, screenwriter and the current Chief Executive Officer of a software company called Social Impulse that services the videogame industry.
Altman at San Diego Comicon 2011
|Born||New York City, United States|
|Occupation||Novelist, Game Writer / Director and C.E.O|
|Genres||Science fiction, Horror, Technology|
|Notable work(s)||Deprivers (ACE), Shadows Over Baker Street, 9Dragons, Zen in the Art of Slaying Vampires, Batman: Fear Itself"|
- 9Dragons Online (Published 2007) (Massively Multiple Online Roleplaying Game) (Written By / Game Director)(Acclaim Games)
- 2Moons (Published 2008) (Massively Multiple Online Roleplaying Game) (Game Director) (Acclaim Games)
- Mafia Payoff (Published 2009) (Facebook Game) (Written By) (Acclaim Games)
- My Diva Doll (Published 2009) (PC Game) (Executive Oversight) (Acclaim Games)
- Ponystars (Published 2009) (PC Game) (Executive Oversight) (Acclaim Games)
- Tribal Nations (Published 2009) (PC Game) (Executive Oversight) (Acclaim Games)
- RockFREE (Published 2010) (Facebook Game) (Executive Oversight) (Acclaim Games)
- Prize Potato (Published 2010) (Facebook Game) (Executive Oversight) (Acclaim Games)
- Cursed Love (Announced) (Massively Multiple Online Roleplaying Game) (Written By / Game Director / Game Designer)(Dark Hermit Studios)
- World Peace One (Announced) (Massively Multiple Online Roleplaying Game) (Written By / Game Director / Game Designer)(World Peace One)
- Pearl's Peril (Published 2013) (Episodic Hidden Object Adventure Game, Facebook, iPhone and iPad) (Written By / Narrative Designer)(Wooga)
- Phrazzle (Published 2013) (Puzzle Game, Facebook, iPhone and iPad) (Producer)(GameFly)
- Captain America is dead. (1992) (Jabberwocky Press)
- The Flyswatter Agenda (Referenced. No Publication Data Found)
- Zen in the art of Slaying Vampires (1997) (Hell's Kitchen Books)
- The Touch: Epidemic of the Millennium (an anthology) (2000)(Simon & Schuster)
- Tao Damphire (Referenced. No Publication Data Found)
- Deprivers (2003) (Bestseller) (Ace/Penguin Putnam)
- Fear Itself (Batman novel) (with Michael Reaves) (2007) (DC Comics / Del Rey)
- Infinite Mirror (Batman novel) (with Michael Reaves) (Sequestered) (DC Comics / Del Rey)
- The Killswitch Review (with Diane Dekelb-Rittenhouse) (2009) (Yard Dog Press) (2011-2012) (Serialized on SuicideGirls.com)
- The Irregulars (with Michael Reaves) (2005) (Dark Horse)
- Catholic Schoolgirls of the Apocalypse (with Tricia Riley Hale)
- A Blind Virgin Like A Loaded Gun (2000)(From the anthology The Touch) (Simon & Schuster)
- Reach Out And Touch Someone (2001)
- A Case of Royal Blood (2003)(From the Hugo Award Winning anthology Shadows Over Baker Street) (Del Rey Books)
- Even a Broken Clock (2004)(From the anthology Blondes In Trouble)
- Suffer Not a Witch to Live in Kansas (2011) (From the anthology I Should Have Stayed in Oz(Yard Dog Press)
- Zen in the Art of Slaying Vampires
Altman began his professional writing career in the advertising field, amassing ten years of New York and Amsterdam based producing, consulting, advertising and marketing experience. As both producer and creative, Altman received numerous awards including three ADDY Awards (Best of New York) for his work with Avon and HBO and a Silver Microphone award for his work with British Knights. Other clients included AT&T, ESPN, Microsoft, DC comics, Coca-Cola and MTV.
Altman then focused his efforts in the technology field, where he created many successful multimedia departments for existing Advertising Firms, including Anderson & Lembke, and helped established firms like Ingersoll-Dresser to develop their online business models, and served in multiple Director positions at new firms like Eurohealthnet and Metrixlab to help develop their business models from the ground up. In 2003, Altman became Vice President of Business Development for Virtual Language Labs, overseeing development of their collateral and market strategy.
Venture Capital Field
With fellow members of the Institute for Technology and Enterprise (New York’s prestigious Internet think tank, which Steve joined in 1995) Altman then co-founded Start-Up Station PLC, a Venture Capital Firm in London that provided seed Capital to technology startups, assisting in their marketing efforts and helping them to develop their collateral to enter the marketplace. Altman helped Start-Up Station go public and begin trading on the London AIM in late 2000.
An avid gamer and award-winning writer, Altman was mentored in social game metrics by industry rock star David Perry. Altman’s first game writing assignment was reportedly in 1996, writing the CD Rom DC Universe for Judson Rosebush (Visual FX Master of Tron) in a seedy back room of Carnegie Hall. Altman was later enticed to join Acclaim Games by former Activision co-Founder and Chairman Howard Marks, initially as the writer for the hit game 9Dragons and later as Game Director/Director of Marketing. After assessing Altman’s business acumen and marketing experience, Marks gave Altman full directorial control of Acclaim’s download division. Altman also wrote Facebook social games for Acclaim, including Mafia Payoff, and oversaw the hiring, training and content of all writers on all games, including Ponystars, MyDivaDoll and Tribal Nations, while managing staff in multiple global offices. In May 2010, Acclaim was purchased by Playdom, the fourth largest Social Game company, which in turn was acquired by Disney. Altman was offered the opportunity to come on board with Playdom, but declined in lieu of the offer to become an advisory board member of a software company called Manumatix to help develop the popular Bamboo software platform for the branded entertainment space, and eventually found Socialtype LLC, and transform Bamboo to serve the videogame space. Altman also serves as the Vice-Chairman elect of the steering committee of the Videogame Division of the Writers Guild of America, and served as a Finalist Judge for their 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Video Game Awards.
Altman is a bestselling Science Fiction author, an outlet that he self-proclaims, "allows him to infuse his passion for technology into envisioning how social networks will transform the society of tomorrow". Altman’s novels include Captain America is Dead, Zen in the Art of Slaying Vampires, Batman: Fear Itself, The Killswitch Review, The Irregulars and Deprivers. In reviews of note his writing has been compared to that of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton and Philip K. Dick, and he has collaborated with world class writers such as Neil Gaiman, Michael Reaves, Harry Turtledove, William F. Nolan and Dr. Janet Asimov. His writing has inspired illustrations and cover art from renowned artists such as Edward Gorey, John Jude Palencar and Ben Templesmith. Steve’s also the editor of the critically acclaimed anthology The Touch and a contributor to Shadows Over Baker Street, a Hugo Award winning anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories.
Honors and Awards
- ADDY Award (Best of New York Advertising, Print) for AVON - Writer
- ADDY Award (Best of New York Advertising, TV) for HBO - Writer
- ADDY Award (Best of New York Advertising, TV) for HBO - Producer
- Silver Microphone Award (Radio) for British Knights - Writer
- Publisher's Weekly (Starred Review) for The Touch - Author
- Bestseller List for Deprivers (Novel) - Author
- MMOsite Reader's Choice Awards for 9Dragons - Best Storyline, Best New Game, Best PVP
- WGA Videogame Awards - Finalist Judge (2009. 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013)
- 9Dragons, Wikipedia.
- Acclaim Games, Wikipedia.
- Dark Hermit Studios, Wikipedia.
- World Peace One, Wikipedia.
- Wooga, Wikipedia.
- GameFly, Wikipedia.
- , Amazon.com.
- , Dark Horse Comics.
- , Variety.com.
- Motherway, Joseph. "Socialtype Team". Socialtype LLC Web Page. Socialtype LLC. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- , MMOSite.
- Mobile Fires Wooga to Profitability as it Launches 4 New Games from Silicon Allee
- Preview of Pearl's Peril from Games.com
- WGA Videogame writer discovers “Humanity’s Final Game.” from WRITE NOW
- 9Dragons More Than Hack and Slash from ONRPG
- Interview with Steven-Elliot Altman and Howard Marks from Warcry Network
- 9Dragons Steven-Elliot Altman Interview from MMOsite.com
- A 9Dragons Post-Launch Interview with Steven-Elliot Altman from Ten Ton Hammer
- Steven-Elliot Altman at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- The Killswitch Review Official Website
- Game Writers Experiment @ Game Developers Conference San Francisco from WGA.Org
- The Day Science Fiction Fell Silent from SciFi.com
- The Complete Killswitch Review Serialized on Suicidegirls.com
- Deprivers review from Infinity Plus
- The Touch review from Infinity Plus
- The Touch starred review from Publisher's Weekly
- The Irregulars review from Booklist
- The Irregulars review from Graphic Classroom
- The Irregulars review from Rue Morgue
- Shadows Over Baker Street review from Kirkus
- Shadows Over Baker Street review from The Harrow
- Deprivers to Guber from Variety
- Deprivers gets TV pact, TBS, Mandalay, Sony to develop sci-fi pic from Variety
- Russell Mulcahy to direct Steven-Elliot Altman's 'Zen in the art of Slaying Vampires' from Variety