Steven Clark Rockefeller
Steven Clark Rockefeller (b. April 19, 1936), a fourth-generation member of the Rockefeller family and a former dean of Middlebury College, is a philanthropist who focuses on education, Planned Parenthood, human rights and environmental causes.
Rockefeller attended prestigious Deerfield Academy and received his AB from Princeton University, where he received the Moses Taylor Pyne Honor Prize and was president of The Ivy Club; his Master of Divinity from the Union Theological Seminary in New York City; and a Ph.D. in philosophy of religion from Columbia University. He is a professor emeritus of Religion at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont where he previously served as college dean and chairman of the religion department.
In 1959, he married Anne-Marie Rasmussen in Søgne, Norway; Anne-Marie was a former employee in the Rockefeller household. The couple had three children before divorcing. Steven Rockefeller remarried and had one child before the marriage ended in divorce. He then wed Barbara Bellows on May 11, 1991.
In 1976, he began an intensive study of Zen Buddhism, making frequent week-long visits to the Zen Center in Rochester, where he was a trustee.
He coordinated the drafting of the Earth Charter for the Earth Charter Commission and Earth Council. In 2005, he moderated the international launch of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD) (2005–14) in its headquarters in New York, launched by UNESCO and attended by Nane Annan, the wife of Secretary General Kofi Annan. He is Co-Chair of Earth Charter International Council and has written numerous essays on the Earth Charter, available at the Earth Charter website.
He has edited or written three books:
- The Christ and the Bodhisattva (SUNY Series in Buddhist Studies). Edited by Donald S. Lopez, Jr., and Steven C. Rockefeller. State University of New York Press (1987)
- Rockefeller, Steven C. John Dewey: Religious Faith and Democratic Humanism. Columbia University Press (1991)
- Spirit and Nature -- Why the Environment Is a Religious Issue: An Interfaith Dialogue. Edited by Steven C. Rockefeller and John C. Elder. Beacon Press (1992).
- Rasmussen, Anne-Marie. There Was Once a Time of Islands, Illusions, and Rockefellers. New York and London: Harcourt Brace, 1975.
- "Trustees: Steven C. Rockefeller". Rockefeller Brothers Fund. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "International Launch of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014)" (Press release). UNESCO. 2005-03-01. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "The Earth Charter Initiative-Website". Earth Charter Initiative, dates?
- The Cousins A 1984 New York Times profile of prominent members of the fourth-generation Rockefellers. (requires subscription)
- Steven C. Rockefeller - Rockefeller Brothers Fund website