|Full name||Steven Hammell|
|Date of birth||18 February 1982|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:20, 11 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Hammell joined Motherwell at the age of fifteen, after Alex McLeish and John Park came to his house and managed to persuade Hammell to take up football full-time. He was loaned out to Bearsden Boys Club, helping them win the league. Upon his return to Motherwell, he made his debut against Aberdeen at Pittodrie at the age of eighteen.
Hammell joined Southend United in July 2006 on a free transfer from Motherwell after his contract had expired – turning down more established sides such as Derby County, Southampton and Aberdeen. In 2005, Hammell was the subject of a £1m bid from Scottish Premier League Champions Celtic, however the move did not materialise.
Hammell came to speak to Southend manager Steve Tilson after a conversation with former Blues loanee Alan McCormack – also of Motherwell. Hammell praised Tilson and the set-up at Southend and after a nervous 48 hours wait whilst Hammell brought his girlfriend down to Essex to check out the area, he agreed to sign a two-year contract.
Hammell rejoined Motherwell in the January 2008 transfer window on deadline day for a fee of £110,000, replacing Jim Paterson at left-back. Earlier in the day Paterson had left the club to join Plymouth Argyle and the proceeds from this transfer were used to buy Hammell.
On 18 May 2012, Hammell signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him at Fir Park till 2014. He would also be granted a testimonial as well. On 22 July 2012, Hammell played in his testimonial match for Motherwell against Everton, the match finished 1–1.
On 26 April 2014, Hammell made his 500th appearance for Motherwell in a 5–1 loss against Dundee United. On 22 May 2014, he signed a new contract at Motherwell, keeping him at the club until Summer 2016.
Hammell was capped twelve times for the Scotland U21's, scoring once in the process. Hammell was part of under-21 team that reached the play-offs for the 2004 UEFA European Championships. They were beaten 2–1 by Croatia U21's on aggregate.
On 17 November 2004, Hammell made his full international debut for Scotland under caretaker manager Tommy Burns in a 4–1 friendly defeat to Sweden, coming on as a 54th-minute substitute for Hearts centre-back Andy Webster. In May 2013, after a nine year absence from international duty, Hammell was drafted in to the Scotland squad for their FIFA World Cup qualifier against Croatia following injury doubts over other full backs. In July 2013, Hammell managed to retain his place in the Scotland squad to face England at Wembley in August. Hammell received another late call up to the Scotland squad for the return fixture against Croatia in October 2013.
On 15 March 2006, Hammell played for the Scotland B team in the Futures Cup against the Turkey B team in a 3–2 defeat. On 6 May 2009, Hammell played a second time for the Scotland B team, in a 3–0 friendly win. This time against the Northern Ireland B team.
- Scottish Premier League / Scottish Premiership
- Motherwell Player of the Year
- Winner (1): 2001
- As of 26 July 2014
- "Steven Hammell profile". Official Motherwell FC Site. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Steven Hammell (U21 Squad) fitbastats.com. Retrieved 31-10-2012.
- Steven Hammell (A Squad) fitbastats.com. Retrieved 31-10-2012.
- Steven Hammell (B Squad) fitbastats.com. Retrieved 31-10-2012.
- "Stevie Hammell reflects on stellar Motherwell career". wishawpress.co.uk. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Player accused of Racism findarticles.com. 24-12-2000. Retrieved 14-10-2013.
- Football is first to face racial charges independent.co.uk. Retrieved 14-10-2013.
- "Well capture Hammell and Lappin" BBC Sport. 31 January 2008.
- "Hammell pens two-year extension" Motherwell FC Official Website. 18 May 2012.
- "Motherwell 1–1 Everton". scotsman.com. 22 July 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "TV: Hammell honoured at 500 milestone". Motherwell F.C. 25 April 2014. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Sutherland, Jonathan (26 April 2014). "Dundee Utd 5-1 Motherwell". BBC Sport. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "TV: Hammell signs extended deal". Motherwell F.C. 22 May 2014. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Scotland 1–4 Sweden, Friendly". fitbastats.com. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Scotland: Steven Hammell in squad for World Cup qualifier in Croatia bbc.co.uk. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
- Strachan announces squad to face England scottishfa.co.uk. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
- Well defender Hammell called up to Scotland squad stv.tv. 13-10-2013. Retrieved 14-10-2013.
- "Scotland B 2–3 Turkey B, Futures Cup". fitbastats.com. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Scotland B 3–0 Northern Ireland B, Friendly". fitbastats.com. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Motherwell Player of the Year List 1956-2013 motherwell-mad.co.uk. Retrieved 22 July 2013
- Appearances are in the Football League Trophy or Europe.