Steven Hirsch attending the Vivid 25th Anniversary party at Opera/Crimson, Hollywood, California on March 7, 2009
|Known for||Founder and Co-Chairman of Vivid Entertainment|
In 2011, Hirsch offered $5,000,000 (£3,000,000) to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge's sister, Pippa Middleton, to take part in an adult movie. He also stated that if her brother, James, also joined her and took part in a separate scene, he would receive $1,000,000 (£600,000).
Hirsch and his original partner, David James, an industry veteran with extensive international experience, were later joined by a third partner, Bill Asher, a Dartmouth College graduate with an MBA from the University of Southern California, who has engineered the company's recent financial success through a series of transactions and alliances. The three are co-chairmen of the company.
The 2004 pseudo-documentary TV series Porno Valley, documents Hirsch's private life and family, and interaction between Hirsch and his Vivid dream.
Two additional seven-party reality series were seen on Showtime. Deeper Throat covered the remaking of the classic adult movie and Debbie Does Dallas Again was about the trials of getting permission to remake this all-time favorite.
In 2012 Hirsch received the first Adult Video News Visionary Award at a gala ceremony in Las Vegas. According to Paul Fishbein, founder of AVN, "Nobody in the modern era of the adult industry has been more innovative in mainstreaming their company image than Vivid. That made them one of the premier brands in all of Hollywood, adult or otherwise. Steve and the company are truly deserving of this achievement."
Hirsch opposed Measure B, a law passed in Los Angeles County on November 5, 2012 that requires all performers in adult films to wear condoms when filming sex scenes. Hirsch expressed confidence that the law, which was passed by 56 percent of voters, would be overturned on the grounds that it violates filmmakers' First Amendment rights, but stated that failing this, Vivid would move production out of Los Angeles County to survive, commenting, "There have been obscenity prosecutions, but this is something on a whole different level."
- Baylen, Ashley (14 December 2011). "The Perfect Jewish Couple- Melissa Rivers & Porn King Steve Hirsch". Shalom Life. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Abrams, Nathan (14 December 2011). "Nathan Abrams on Jews in the American porn industry". Jewish Quarterly. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Larkin, Mike (14 December 2011). "'He's Jewish... and a businessman': Joan Rivers insists she is delighted her daughter is dating celebrity sex tape king Steven Hirsch". Daily Mail. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Vivid Entertainment LLC: CEOs and Executives", BusinessWeek.
- 25 Years of Vivid
- Pulley, Brett (2005-03-07). "The Porn King". Forbes.
- "Vivid's 25th Anniversary: How Steven Hirsch's Company Thrust Porn Into Mainstream America" by Jared Rutter for AVN. Posted September 30, 2009.
- "Porn Goes Mainstream" by Joel Stein, June 24, 2001. TIME.
- Sullivan, David. Contract Girls Featured On 'Sexiest Billboard Ever'. November 7, 2007.
- How to Have a XXX Sex Life: The Ultimate Vivid Guide by Vivid Girls from HarperCollins.
- "Vivid Comix launches line featuring Vivid Girls", by Avatar Press, September 19, 2003
- Wells, Jeff. "Vivid Valley' takes reality TV to local adult industry". San Fernando Valley Business Journal. October 10, 2005.
- "Porn Baron offers $5m to Pippa Middleton to star in porn film
- "Steve Hirsch to Receive First Visionary Award at AVN Awards". AVN.com. November 10, 2011
- "Porn industry ponders new condom law in Los Angeles". Associated Press/Fox News. November 12, 2012.