Steven Kaplan (economist)
Steven Neil Kaplan (born 1959) is the Neubauer Family Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. He started teaching at the business school in 1988, and was named Neubauer Professor in 1999. He is also the Faculty director of the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship, at the University.
Kaplan teaches advanced courses in corporate finance and entrepreneurial finance. His areas of expertise are: Venture Capital, Corporate Governance, Private Equity, Mergers and Acquisitions, Boards of Directors, and E-Commerce. He was named one of the top twelve business school teachers in U.S., Business Week, 1994, and one of the top four business school entrepreneurship professors in U.S., Business Week, 1996.
He is Associate Editor, Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, European Financial Management, 1994- Journal of Corporate Finance, 2000-; Journal of Empirical Finance 2001-; Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. 1994-1998, Review of Financial Studies, 1993-1996.
He has published 27 peer-reviewed papers in the top journals in his subject. The most recent are:
- “Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital Flows,” with Antoinette Schoar, Journal of Finance, Volume 60, August 2005.
- “Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence From Venture Capitalist Analyses,” with Per Strömberg. Journal of Finance, Volume 59, October 2004, 2177-2210.
- “What is the Price of Hubris? Using Takeover Battles to Infer Overpayments and Synergies,” with Pekka Hietala and David T. Robinson, Financial Management, Volume 32, Number 3, Autumn, 2003. Awarded Addison-Wesley Prize for 2nd Best Paper in Autumn, 2002 to Summer, 2004 issues.
- “The State of U.S. Corporate Governance: What’s Right and What’s Wrong?” (with Bengt Holmstrom), Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Spring 2003, 8-20.
- “Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: Evidence From Venture Capital Contracts,” with Per Strömberg, Review of Economic Studies, Volume 70, April 2003, 281-316.
- “The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs,” with Luis Garicano, Journal of Industrial Economics, December, 2001, 463-485.
He is editor of "Mergers and Productivity,"(National Bureau of Economic Research, 2000)
- Faculty honored with named professorships, Univ. of Chicago Chronicle, Sept. 1999
- Official Biography
- Steven Kaplan's GSB Web Site
- The University of Chicago Graduate School of Business Curriculum Guide 2006-07. Includes on page 36 a brief biography of Kaplan
- Roberts, Russ (November 7, 2012). "Kaplan on the Inequality and the Top 1%". EconTalk. Library of Economics and Liberty.