Author Steve Levy at a book signing at Nest Labs in Palo Alto, February 2014
|Genre||Non-fiction (science-technology, business)|
Levy is the editor in chief of the tech hub for Medium. Previously he was senior writer for Wired, following a dozen years as chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek. Levy has had articles published in Harper's, Macworld, The New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, Premiere, and Rolling Stone. He is regarded as a prominent and respected critic of Apple Inc. In July 2004, Levy wrote a cover story (which also featured an interview with Apple CEO Steve Jobs) which unveiled the 4th generation of the iPod to the world before Apple had officially done so, an unusual event since Apple is well known for its tight-lipped press policy.
Levy has won several awards, including the "Computer Press Association Award" for a report he co-wrote in 1998 on the Year 2000 problem.
In 1984, he wrote a book called Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, in which he described a "hacker ethic", which became a guideline to understanding how computers have advanced into the machines that we know and use today. He identified this Hacker Ethic to consist of key points such as that all information is free, and that this information should be used to "change life for the better".
Levy received his bachelor's degree from Temple University and earned a Master's degree in literature from Pennsylvania State University. He lives in New York City with his wife, Pulitzer Prize winner Teresa Carpenter, and son.
Books by Levy
- In The Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives (2011)
- The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness (2006)
- Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age (2001)
- Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer That Changed Everything (1994)
- Artificial Life: The Quest for a New Creation (1992)
- The Unicorn's Secret: Murder in the Age of Aquarius (1988)
- Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution (1984)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steven Levy.|
- Steven Levy's website
- iPod: I love you, you're perfect, now change- Salon.com article on Levy's 2006 book The Perfect Thing
- Works by Steven Levy at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Steven Levy at Internet Archive
- Authors@Google: Steven Levy on YouTube
- Lebowski Podcast Episode 27 - Steven Levy's Wish List Interview with Steven Levy about The Big Lebowski and his interview with the Coen Brothers.
- Lebowski Podcast Episode 27a - Steven Levy on Technology Chalupa and Steven Levy talk about blogging, Twitter, internet security, etc.
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Levy on The Perfect Thing, December 24, 2006