- For the actor, see Stephen Rea.
|Born||London, England, UK|
|Occupation||Film critic, journalist|
|Education||San Francisco State University, University of Iowa|
|Subject||Film, poetry, pop music|
Rea was born in London, England, and was raised in New York City. He is a graduate of Stuyvesant High School in New York City. Rea earned an undergraduate degree in English and Creative Writing from San Francisco State University. He attended the Writers Workshop graduate program at the University of Iowa.
Rea has written for multiple publications, as well as working for major record labels such as Island Records. Since 1982, he has written for the Philadelphia Inquirer, covering pop culture topics including movies, pop music and books. He became one of its film critics in 1992. Other periodicals for which he has written include: Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, Family Fun, Crawdaddy!, Music World, Phonograph Record Magazine, High Fidelity, Folk Scene, Los Angeles, New West, Trouser Press, Oui, Chic, Record World, and the Los Angeles Herald Examiner. His feature film reviews have been syndicated.
Rea is an adjunct professor in the Cinema and Television program at the Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design at Drexel University. He hosts Talk Cinema events and has served on the Narrative Features jury of the 2012 Florida Film Festival. He is a member of the National Society of Film Critics (NSFC).
Rea is the author of Hollywood Rides a Bike: Cycling with the Stars (2012) which received good reviews from The Telegraph (UK) and the San Francisco Chronicle. It was also released as an iPad app, "Hollywood Rides a Bike". He is the curator of the Tumblr blog, Rides a Bike. His essay on the British New Wave is published in the book European Cinema (2012).
- "2012 Special Guests & Jurors", Florida Film Festival. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Columnists: Steven Rea". Philly.com. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Critics » Steven Rea". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Steven X Rea". Rock's Backpages Library. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Movies and Culture". Westphal College of Media Arts & Design, Drexel University. January 20, 2010. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "Who We Are". National Society of Film Critics. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Steven Rea (2012). Hollywood Rides a Bike: Cycling with the Stars. Angel City Press. ISBN 1883318637.
- Gaby Wood (May 22, 2012). "Hollywood Rides a Bike: Cycling with the Stars review". The Telegraph (UK).
- Mick Lasalle (February 19, 2012). "Hollywood Rides a Bike, by Steven Rea: review". San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Hollywood Rides A Bike By CineDex", iTunes.com, 2012. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Zhenya Kiperman (2012). "6". European Cinema the Defining Figures Movements Films. University Readers. pp. 163–172. ISBN 978-1609276256.
- "Paris Review No. 62" (Index only, PDF). Summer 1975. Archived from the original on June 13, 2010.
- "Steven Rea - Poems/Articles/Artwork in NYQ". The New York Quarterly. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Steven Rea Contributions: Author". MomentumPlanet.com. Archived from the original on January 14, 2010.