- For the similarly named actor, see Stephen Rea.
|Born||London, England, UK|
|Occupation||Film critic, journalist|
|Education||San Francisco State University, University of Iowa|
|Subjects||Film, poetry, pop music|
Rea was born in London, England, and was raised in New York City. He is a graduate of Stuyvesant High School in New York City. Rea earned an undergraduate degree in English and Creative Writing from San Francisco State University. He attended the Writers Workshop graduate program at the University of Iowa.
Rea has written for multiple publications, as well as working for major record labels such as Island Records. Since 1982, he has written for the Philadelphia Inquirer, covering pop culture topics including movies, pop music and books. He became one of its film critics in 1992. Other periodicals for which he has written include: Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, Family Fun, Crawdaddy, Music World, Phonograph Record Magazine, High Fidelity, Folk Scene, Los Angeles, New West, Trouser Press, Oui, Chic, Record World, and the Los Angeles Herald Examiner. His feature film reviews have been syndicated.
Rea is an adjunct professor in the Cinema and Television program at the Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design at Drexel University. He hosts Talk Cinema events and has served on the Narrative Features jury of the 2012 Florida Film Festival. He is a member of the National Society of Film Critics (NSFC).
Rea is the author of Hollywood Rides a Bike: Cycling with the Stars (2012, Angel City Press, ISBN 1883318637) and the similarly named iPad app Hollywood Rides a Bike (CineDex). He is the curator of the Tumblr blog, Rides a Bike. His essay on the British New Wave is published in the book European Cinema (2012, University Reader, ISBN 1609276256).
- 2012 Special Guests & Jurors, Florida Film Festival.
- Profile of Steven Rea at philly.com
- Steven Rea at Rotten Tomatoes
- Profile at rocksbackpages.com
- "Movies and Culture". Westphal College of Media Arts & Design, Drexel University. 20 January 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Who We Are at National Society of Film Critics, 2012.
- Hollywood Rides A Bike By CineDex, iTunes, 2012. accessed 28 December 2012.
- European Cinema, Chapter 6, p. 163–172.
- Paris Review No. 62, Summer 1975.
- Profile of contributions by Rea at The New York Quarterly
- Steven Rea profile at MomentumPlanet.com