|Full name||Steven John Reid|
|Date of birth||10 March 1981|
|Place of birth||Kingston upon Thames, England|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in) |
|Playing position||Right back|
|Current club||West Bromwich Albion|
|2009||→ Queens Park Rangers (loan)||2||(0)|
|2010||→ West Bromwich Albion (loan)||10||(1)|
|2010–||West Bromwich Albion||55||(2)|
|2001–2008||Republic of Ireland||23||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 April 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Steven John Reid (born 10 March 1981) is a footballer who plays for West Bromwich Albion as a right back, but previously played most of his career in midfield. Born in England, he was capped 23 times at international level for the Republic of Ireland and scored two goals for them from 2001 to 2008 before retiring from international football on 13 July 2010.
Born in Kingston upon Thames, London, Reid attended St. Agatha's Catholic Primary School and Richard Challoner School in the same outer London area. He started his career at Millwall, and made his professional debut in the 1997–98 season at the age of 17. He was part of the successful 2000–01 team that gained promotion to the English First Division. Reid gained a reputation for his strong, driving runs and phenomenal long range shooting ability, memorably scoring from 35 yards against Norwich City on the opening day of the 2001–02 season to set Millwall on their way to a 4–0 victory. Reid earned his first cap for Ireland while at the Den. He continued to impress for both club and country, triggering a £1.85 million move to Blackburn Rovers in July 2003.
Reid debuted for Blackburn Rovers on 23 August 2003 as a 76th minute substitute for team-mate Vratislav Greško, but had the misfortune of being dismissed in the 88th minute. He went on to make 19 appearances through the 2003–04 season, though a hamstring injury would rule him out of action for three months during this time. A change of management in September 2004 saw Mark Hughes replace Graeme Souness as Blackburn boss, a move which would also signify a change for Reid. Despite playing the majority of his career as a wide midfielder, Hughes moved Reid to centre midfield for the match against Everton on 6 March 2005. Reid went on to star in a 1–0 victory for Blackburn, creating the winning goal, and has since claimed the central midfield position.
Reid scored one of the goals of the seasons in the FA Premier League 2005–06 campaign against Wigan at the JJB Stadium. The ball fell to Reid from 30 yards and he scored a volley into the top corner of the net. The goal won BBC Match of the Day's Goal of the Month for December. On 2 May 2006, Reid scored the goal that secured Blackburn's place in the 2006–07 UEFA Cup, a header that gave them a 1–0 win over Chelsea.
Reid missed the majority of the 2006–07 season through injury. A back injury limited him to three appearances before he sustained cruciate ligament injury in January, which kept him out for the rest of the season.
It appeared that Reid's injury problems were behind him after a full pre-season and solid start to Blackburn's 2008–09 season, however his injury woes would return, with another knee injury ruling him out of the entire 2008–09 season.
Queens Park Rangers (loan)
On 19 November 2009, Reid signed on loan for Queens Park Rangers (QPR) in an attempt to recapture his career from injury. The loan lasted until midway through December 2009. During which time Reid wore the number 36 shirt. He, along with other players, appeared in a Libertines video (fronted by QPR fan Pete Doherty) celebrating the bands re-union.
West Bromwich Albion
On 5 March 2010, West Bromwich Albion signed Reid on a one month loan. He made his debut against his previous loan club, Queens Park Rangers, on 6 March 2010, playing at right back in the 3–1 defeat at Loftus Road. He scored his first goal for the club against Coventry City on 24 March 2010. On 26 May 2010, Reid joined West Brom following their promotion to the Premier League on a permanent basis after signing a two-year contract. He officially joined on 1 July 2010 after a medical and had the option of a further 12-month extension on his contract. He scored his first goal for the club after making his move permanent against Leicester City in the League Cup on 26 October 2010.
At the opening season of 2011/12, Reid scored an own goal in a 2-1 loss against Manchester United after Ashley Young cross from the left took a deflection off Reid and beat goalkeeper Ben Foster As the season progressed, Reid asserted himself as the number one right back and continued into the 2011-12 season, scoring his first goal of the season from a free-kick against Wigan in December 2011. After a match against Chelsea which West Brom won 1-0 on 3 March 2012, will miss the rest of the season after injuring ankle ligaments in a match. While recovering ankle ligaments from his injury, Reid signed a new two-year deal that will keep him at West Brom until 2014.
Despite representing England at junior levels, Reid decided to play full international football for the Republic of Ireland, whom he qualifies to play for through his father who was born in County Galway. He was part of the Irish squad at the 2002 FIFA World Cup after being called up as a late replacement.
Reid retired from international football on 13 July 2010 in order to concentrate on his club career. He has since raised the possibility of a comeback if Ireland were stuck in the midfield department.
- (correct as of 14 October 2012)
|Season||Club||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|2003–04||Blackburn Rovers||Premier League||16||0||0||0||1||0||2||0||19||0|
|West Brom (loan)||10||1||10||1|
|2010–11||West Brom||Premier League||23||1||0||0||4||1||27||2|
- "BBC Sport Football player profile Steven Reid". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Curtis, John (17 January 2013). "Now that's commitment! West Brom defender Reid played 45 minutes with a BROKEN leg". Daily Mail. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "West Brom's Steven Reid 'played with broken leg' at Arsenal". BBC Sport. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Reid played on with broken leg". ESPN. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "My Inspirations: Steven Reid". West Bromwich Albion F.C. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Millwall 4–0 Norwich". BBC Sport. 11 August 2001. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- "Blackburn 1–0 Chelsea". BBC Sport. 2 May 2006. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- Blackburn's Reid out for season
- Injured Reid out for the season
- "Reid signs for QPR on loan". Blackburn Rovers F.C. 19 November 2009. Retrieved 19 November 2009.
- "Reid completes Baggies loan move". TEAMtalk. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Reid has mixed feelings on debut". West Bromwich Albion F.C. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "West Brom 1–0 Coventry". BBC Sport. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- "Steven Reid signs two-year West Brom deal". RTÉ Sport (Raidió Teilifís Éireann). 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Reid out for the season". Sky Sports. 9 March 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "West Brom defender Steven Reid signs new deal". The Independent. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Steven Reid calls time on Ireland career". RTÉ News. 13 July 2010.
- "Reid considers Ireland return". The Irish Times. 10 October 2010.
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the play-offs, Football League Trophy and UEFA Cup.